New floor over old 3/4 strip flooring

Old 04-10-08, 12:07 PM
New floor over old 3/4 strip flooring

Is it advisable to install a new oak strip floor, using staples, over an old existing (level) 3/4" oak strip floor?

My reason for doing so:
1 There was a large section of the floor that was covered with ceramic tile, laid over linoleum that was on top of the original floor. After pulling it all up there is a lot of damage to the old floors along with a ton of nail/staples holes from the wire mesh that the tile was set into. Also several water/pet stains that were under wall to wall carpet.

2 I'd rather not pull up the old floor (a lot of work) but I'd rather do it right the first time.

I plan on using a pre-finished hardwood on top and run it perpendicular to the old floor.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-08, 03:51 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Can you at least install some plywood over the existing plank floor first?

Old 04-10-08, 08:10 PM
If the floor is solid - you can lay new right on top of old...

I had a similar issue with pet stains and large gaps in my 90 year old home... and took up the old floor, cleaned up the wood (pulled all nails, planed edges, threw away pet stained areas) - and relaid it - mixing in some new with the old to cover my lost pieces.... Came out beautifully... - and cost me lots of time - but little else other than the cost to have it resanded/stained/sealed..

Old 04-11-08, 09:30 AM
I could lay plywood on top - I would think 3/8ths at a minimum, but is it needed. Does that cause other height issues. I looked on the Wood Flooring Mfg Association's website (nofma.org) and according to them, as long as you run the new floor at either 45 degree angle or perpendicualr to the old floor that is fine. If running the same direction plywood top is a must.

My real question is has anyone done it and are they happy with the end result?

Old 04-17-08, 07:32 AM
I have done it many times. I have yet to get the dreaded call.

It works. Follow NOFMA and you will be fine.