Install prefinished floor under kitchen cabinets

Old 04-10-08, 01:13 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Install prefinished floor under kitchen cabinets

I'm doing a kitchen remodel and this seems to be the old 'chicken or the egg' question.

I want to install a prefinished oak floor throughout my LR/DR and Kithchen. I know its easier to install the flooring without having to cut around cabinets but is the risk of the cabinet installers (or anyone else) damaging the floor a greater risk?

If installed first, the floors would need to be covered (obviously) but what's best - is felt paper sufficient?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-08, 03:32 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I personally would install the flooring AFTER the cabinets are installed.

Installing the flooring under the cabinets is a waste of material, and IF there is ever a leak under there, it will destroy the floor.

They make mats and drop clothes to put over your floor to protect it. I wouldn't use roofing felt because it may leave fine scratches in the floor, but I'm not 100% sure.

Old 04-10-08, 09:04 PM
I would run the floor first, stopping the flooring about two inches under the edges of the prospective cabinets. You don't need the hardwood under the cabinets - and can use leftover scraps under the inside edges for spacers....

Any decent cabinet installer won't hurt your floor.... using furniture pads/blankets/etc to protect the finish while working on it.