Wood on cracked concrete

Old 04-12-08, 12:58 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wood on cracked concrete

I plan to install engineered or hardwood over concrete slab. I pulled the carpet and discovered small, at most 1/8", cracks over a 35x20' area. There are 2 cracks that runs the entire lenght and 2-3 cracks that connects them. The whole area seems to be flat except for a 2 feet diameter where a floor outlet is. I plan to remove the outlet and grind it down till it's flat.

Am I right to eliminate glue down because of these cracks? I plan to run the boards front to back, the 35' lenght. How much crack can glue down hardwood or engineered wood handle?

Would I be safe to install floating engineered wood over these cracks over a moisture barrier?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-08, 02:41 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Good Morning,

How old is your home? I think I'd fill those cracks, first, then a vapor barrier and floating, engineered floor.

Old 04-12-08, 08:37 PM
My house is about 12 years old. I had a foundation guy checked the foundation and he found a .5" drop at one corner of the house. Since it's over 2000 sqft of slab he says it's not necessary to fix the foundation.

Should I just use mortar to fill the cracks and the holes caused by ripping out the carpet wood strips?

I talked to seconds and surplus people and they say just glue right over the cracks, once it's smoothed with mortar. He says to use this mastic adhesive in a silver bucket that cost $95 for 200 sqft of coverage. The material suppose to allow the cracks to move a bit but still hold on to the wood. Sounds almost like anti-fracture membrane for tiles. Anyone has experience with that.

Old 04-14-08, 03:34 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Good morning,

It would be best to check with the manufacturer of your flooring for specific installation instructions for your brand. Instructions do vary, not only from one manufacturer to another, but also for different floors from the same maker.

You'll need one of the concrete pros to advise you on the cracks. What is important, is whether the cracks are caused from settling or from hydrostatic pressure...is your slab finished cracking, or is it going to continue to do so?

Connie

Old 04-17-08, 09:08 AM
The small cracks like that, don't concern me one bit. The thing I find with most slabs with a tiny crack like that, is the crack tends to be a high spot, now that one side of the slab is trying to sink on the perimeter of the home, more then where the crack actually is.

Old 04-19-08, 09:48 AM
Some of the concrete surface has paint spray and some paster spray. I went over it with a big chisel thing and removed all the lumps but the paint spray is still there. Do I have to sand it all away? or Can I just use Stauf 960 and glue the wood right over it?

Old 04-21-08, 08:45 PM
Originally Posted by wildsting88 View Post
Some of the concrete surface has paint spray and some paster spray. I went over it with a big chisel thing and removed all the lumps but the paint spray is still there. Do I have to sand it all away? or Can I just use Stauf 960 and glue the wood right over it?

There is a post above... A Sticky Thread titled Concrete slab Prep, or something like that.

Review it. It answers your question completely, with pictures.