Floating Floors and Kitchen Cabinets

Old 04-14-08, 08:06 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Floating Floors and Kitchen Cabinets

I know that this issue has been addressed in various posts but I want to be sure the question to my specific application is answered.

I am going to be using Marmoleum Click planks in a kitchen remodel. Based on what I have read, it seems like the best way to install a floating floor is just under the cabinets, but not all of the way under them.

Here is my game plan.

1. Lay down a vapor barrier over the entire floor space
2. Install plywood that is 1/16 thicker than my flooring + underlayment 19" out from walls that house cabinetry. This will allow the floating floor to extend beyond the toe kick and slightly under the cabinets.
3. Put up the sheet rock and paint
4. Put down the underlayment
5. Lay the floating floor
6. Install cabinets and toe kick

Can anyone tell me if that all sees reasonable? If you would change something in this approach, please let me know.

Thanks for your help!

Old 04-14-08, 02:12 PM
J
what if you ever needed to replace the flooring? you would have to remove all the cabinets.

Old 04-14-08, 02:19 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
How can floor float if cabinets are sitting on it? Install cabinets. Install floor up to toe kick, leaving recommended expansion gap and then the molding.

Old 04-14-08, 04:03 PM
E
Originally Posted by matman
I know that this issue has been addressed in various posts but I want to be sure the question to my specific application is answered.

I am going to be using Marmoleum Click planks in a kitchen remodel. Based on what I have read, it seems like the best way to install a floating floor is just under the cabinets, but not all of the way under them.

Here is my game plan.

1. Lay down a vapor barrier over the entire floor space
2. Install plywood that is 1/16 thicker than my flooring + underlayment 19" out from walls that house cabinetry. This will allow the floating floor to extend beyond the toe kick and slightly under the cabinets.
3. Put up the sheet rock and paint
4. Put down the underlayment
5. Lay the floating floor
6. Install cabinets and toe kick

Can anyone tell me if that all sees reasonable? If you would change something in this approach, please let me know.

Thanks for your help!
I am in the business of floating floors. Anything permanent like cabinets should NEVER be installed on top of a floating floor. You will 'pin' the floor preventing it from expanding and contracting as a single unit. Ever seen the gaps in nail down hardwood? This becasue the individual boards expand and contract individually. A floating floor needs anywhere from 1/4 to 3/8", depending on climate conditions like humidity fluctuations, around ALL permanent fixtures to breath. This includes, walls, pipes, cabinet bulkheads, etc, The best way is to notch out the base of the cabinets behind the toekick so the floor can expand into this notch. Then install the toekick so it hides the expansion gap and the notched cabinet bases. Rule of thumb, if you can push the fixture, the floor can be installed under it. If not, then you must leave expansion

Old 04-14-08, 09:28 PM
M
Cabinets and Floating Floor

Seems like if you are not going to put the floating floor under the cabinets (which seems like the consensus), that the cabinets should be brought up to the same level as the finished floor, by adding the plywood. Wouldn't it be much more difficult to pull appliances from under the counter if there is a "lip" formed by the edge of the floating floor?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: