Finish Too Dull

Old 04-20-08, 04:37 AM
Finish Too Dull

I've just completed finishing freshly installed parquet flooring. I'm not happy with my selection of finish; too dull. I used Minwax Super Fast-drying Polyurethane for Floors, Professional Formula, CLEAR SATIN. I think it is too flat a finish and wish I had selected the SEMI GLOSS. Can I expect a glossier finish if I sand and use a 4th coat of SEMI GLOSS? I'm concerned about compatability of poly's and the effectivness of getting a better shine.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-08, 06:02 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Good morning Viviennejo and welcome to the DIY Forums!

I believe you may get a glossier finish if you sand and use semi-gloss. It may require more than one coat of semi gloss to effect a result..

Don't forget, though, the shiny, glossier finish may result in a slick floor.

Connie

Old 04-20-08, 01:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Semi-gloss should do fine with a light sanding and wiping up the dust first. Providing you apply an even coat, there shouldn't be any problems with the sheen change.

For the most part all the oil base sheens are compatible, same with the water base, just don't interchange the oil and waterbases.

Old 04-21-08, 04:29 AM
As a lifelong woodworker (but admittedly, not a flooring finish guy), IMO, your proposal may not be a complete fix. Yes, it will improve the reflective properties of the final finish a bit, and hopefully to your liking. However, the first 3 coats of satin would still remain and that will impact the look. Satins and semi-glosses contain substances that reduce the amount of light reflected off the surface. 3 coats of satin, and you have 3 layers of these substances and an appearance I consider dull. Whenever I want a satin finish, I apply all coats in clear gloss and only do the final coat in satin. If it's still too glossy, then another coat of satin goes on. I now use this approach for any floors I do, after learning this lesson the hard way. All the pro floor guys I know do the same. Starting from where you are now, I would test small inconspicuous spots with both gloss and semi-gloss, to see what gives the best resutls for your taste. Good luck. I hope it works out to your liking.