Removing heart pine for reuse

Old 04-26-08, 12:33 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Removing heart pine for reuse

Hi all,

I have the chance to get a good bit of old heart pine flooring. This flooring is just beautiful and in great shape except for a few scratches.....no dents. Could someone please tell me how to remove this flooring with as little damage as possible? I plan to put this flooring in my house!

I don't mind paying a professional to do this, but, I really don't know how to find this type of professional. Does anyone know where to start looking for one?

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-08, 10:32 PM
Prybar and work up and down the rows.

Old 04-27-08, 10:36 AM
I did the same thing past winter with my entire main floor of Red Oak flooring. A pry bar used with caution works great. You will get some damage along the tongue from some of the nails, but not enough to keep it from being reused. I also had to trim each and every piece of wood on the sides to remove old putty/crap from the edges so it would mate properly when re-installed. It was a huge undertaking, I removed a gazillion nails, I went through 4 blades on my table saw, and my garage was a mess for a week. I relaid it, mixing in about 10% new for old (some damage is bound to occur that you can't salvage) - and, after sanding/staining/sealing, my floor is good as new (And beautiful I might add). I told my wife, never, ever again, complain to me about not recycling my beer bottles....

Old 04-28-08, 12:02 PM
Smile

Thank you so much for the information. This sounds like a lot of work and I'm not sure I can do it, but, I'm sure going to try. The flooring is being given to me so I won't have anything invested when I start.

Wish me luck!

Old 04-28-08, 01:08 PM
Group Moderator
Received 38 Votes on 30 Posts
Even if you damage some of it, what you recover will be worth some $$$.