Refinishing hardwood floors with an oscillating sander?

Old 04-27-08, 11:18 AM
Refinishing hardwood floors with an oscillating sander?

I am looking to refinish my oak hardwood floors and the guy at Home Depot is saying I should rent their oscillating sander and not the drum sander as it is easier and safer. But will the oscillating sander work? It would definitely be preferred if it is as easy as the guy says, but will it work and what would get the best results?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-08, 11:56 AM
Best way to apply stain and finish

I was just wondering what the best way to apply stain and finish?

Last time I refinished hardwoods I used a paint brush to apply the stain and I beleive a lambs wool applicator to apply the finish. The trouble i had with the brush was the stain went on too thick I think and when I went to apply the finish it removed some of the stain that didn't soak into the wood. And for the finish, when putting the first coat on with the lambs wool applicator, it didn't flow nicely over the floors and chunk of wool kept on coming off. The second and third coat were great though as it glided nicely over the first coat.

Any suggestions?

Old 04-27-08, 04:35 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I merged your threads into one post to prevent confusion.

Old 04-28-08, 04:10 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
An oscillating sander is a lot more diy friendly!! It isn't as quick and doesn't do quite as good a job as a drum sander but a drum sander requires a fair amount of skill - it is very easy for a novice to get a wavy floor with a drum sander. I used to paint for 1 small time builder that finished his own floors and he used an oscillating sander for that reason.

Excess stain should always be wiped off - this will prevent stain or poly from lifting.

You might need to use a better grade of of lambs wool pad although it is possible the pad was catching gaps in the hardwood which would rip it. Applying a filler prior to the final sanding before staining should seal up any gaps.