What Sub floor should I use for Solid Wood Floor

Old 04-28-08, 06:11 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
What Sub floor should I use for Solid Wood Floor

What sub floor should I use for new hardwood floor? I was going to use 3/4# CDX? Is this ok for interior use and strong enough for a sub floor? Do I need to get 3/4# T&G sturdy floor?

Also what do I use to fasten sub floor to floor joists? Screws or Nails? How long?

Also what do I use to fasten new floor? Staples or Nails? What gauge and length?

Old 04-28-08, 08:34 AM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Either subfloor will work fine - though the tongue/groove is better for your application - keeping the edges from potentially bowing and/or squeaking in the future... Spend the extra $20 now and be happy later - glue the joints when putting together.... Glue the subfloor down to the joists before nailing/screwing it down - both methods are appropriate - with different fastener patterns for each one (more nails, less screws). You want your nails/screws to reach into the joists at least one inch.

Nails/staples - the ongoing debate. I prefer L head serrated flooring nails applied with a gun... but have used simple finishing nails in the past with good results...

Old 05-05-08, 11:08 AM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Is CDX ok for a sub floor? I'm getting mixed answers from people I ask. Some say not to get CDX because it has too many holes in it. Some say to get under-layment grade since it has less holes. Some say to get Tongue and groove? What do I do?

Old 05-05-08, 11:22 AM
T
Tongue and groove is the best product for a floor, helping to eliminate the possible flex at the joints between floor joists... I'm putting in a new addition at the moment, and am using T&G OSB designed for flooring underlayment - on top of 2X10 joists glued and screwed. On top of that goes 3/4 Red Oak.

Old 11-19-08, 11:39 PM
F
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jaspers95
What sub floor should I use for new hardwood floor? I was going to use 3/4# CDX? Is this ok for interior use and strong enough for a sub floor? Do I need to get 3/4# T&G sturdy floor?

Also what do I use to fasten sub floor to floor joists? Screws or Nails? How long?

Also what do I use to fasten new floor? Staples or Nails? What gauge and length?
I am having these same questions. I just purchused a house with chip board for it's sub floor. With the plans on re-doing the entire house in just over one month before we move in I want to do the job right. We are putting down 3/4 x 3.25 oak floor, but with the crappy sub floor I am going to have to put a new one down. What is the most cost effective thing to do?

Old 11-19-08, 11:46 PM
T
Not sure what you mean by chip board, but if this is what is commonly known as particleboard, then it is not an acceptable subfloor for solid 3/4" hardwood flooring. Particle board tends not to be able to hold nails or staples. OSB, on the other hand, can suffice, although 3/4" plywood underlayment is preferred.

Old 11-20-08, 07:06 AM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Jasper,
I just went through this myself. I pulled the carpet up to find particleboard (sawdust and glue) as the underlayment layer. Thankfully I had a plywood subfloor and the particleboard was on top of the plywood. I pulled up all the particleboard and replaced with BC 5/8" plywood underlayment and fastened to the subfloor with screws. Now I am beginning the process of installing the bamboo hardwoods.

Instead of installing the BC plywood I almost installed Avantech OSB.

If the subfloor squeaks, fix it now.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: