board direction

Old 04-29-08, 06:56 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
board direction

I had everything planned out... then someone challanges my plan. So, I need some advice from a professional. My plan was to lay the boards the same direction as the light enters the rooms, which happens to be the same direction that one would walk into the room or look into the room. I have also been give directions that say to lay the board parallel with the longest wall which in every case would be perpendicular to the way the light enters or one would walk into the room. This would definately be easier to lay (less cutting), but Im not sure it would look as good. Am I over thinking this? Some installers would just do it the way that is fastest. Speed isnt important to me, I just want it to look good. Which way would look the best??

Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-08, 09:59 AM
What type of floor are you installing? For my engineered hardwood, they instruct you to install the wood perpendicular to the floor joices.

Old 04-29-08, 10:45 AM
It is engineered float over concrete slab

Old 04-29-08, 01:49 PM
You're not overthinking, you're thinking like an architect.

The "parallel to longest wall" thing is just rule of thumb that often happens to fit those conditions you're considering.

Old 04-29-08, 06:22 PM
Thanks. So, unless I get some convincing argument why to do it the other way... Ill just go with my instinct and lay the bords along the short wall, which is the way the light enters the room.

Old 04-29-08, 07:01 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Some manufacturers state to lay the floor perpendicular to the floor joists (if you have them), other then that, you lay the floor the way you want too.

Old 04-30-08, 11:00 AM
Your chosen direction (along short wall, with the direction the light enters and also the direction people look into and enter the room) has an added advantage. Laying the boards that way will visually enlarge the room. We were going to go with the light, but changed to the direction people look into and enter the room for the visual benefit. I'm extremely glad we went that way. Except for the long wall theory, everything seems to support your instincts. Good luck.