oil or water based polyurathene

Old 04-29-08, 09:53 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
oil or water based polyurathene

Does anyone have any opinion on which is better for refinishing oak floors.

i believe the water based dries faster but have heard that it is not as durable as the oil based.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-08, 03:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 153 Votes on 136 Posts
Oil base dries to a harder film = wears longer/better. Oil base also changes/deepens the natural color of the wood and may amber some with age - personally I like this look.

Water base polys do dry quicker and they don't yellow with age. The also don't change the natural color of the wood any. Waterbased poly only adds sheen - it won't change the look of the wood. It doesn't dry as hard or wear as well but it is constantly being improved on. There may come a day when it's superior to oil.

Old 04-30-08, 04:57 AM
thanks

thanks for the info

Old 04-30-08, 11:10 AM
marksr comments are right on. My additional 2 cents: water based is generally more DIY friendly due to the dry time and virtual lack of odor. However, the one water based finished floor I did and the 4-5 done by friends all show some signs of finish failure within 1-2 years, especially in high traffic areas. All oil based finishes are going strong, some approaching a decade. I attribute that to the penetrating properties of oil based. Just my experience though.

Old 04-30-08, 03:43 PM
going with oil based

thanks agian for the info. i am going to use the oil based. i don't want to be re doing the floors in a couple of years

Old 04-30-08, 03:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 153 Votes on 136 Posts
I probably should add that not all waterbased polys are the same. There is atleast one brand that requires a hardner/activator that is supposed to wear well - the name escapes me ......... but the average waterbased poly readily available to the average diyer won't wear well.