laminate floor over vinyl & crawlspace

Old 05-02-08, 06:47 AM
laminate floor over vinyl & crawlspace

Hi. I have a question or two regarding the prep for the laminate floor I just purchased. It is BHK Moderna flooring with the padding attached. I have a crawlspace (approx 27 inch height) with a dirt floor that does get damp, but no standing water. I intend to cover the dirt floor with plastic sheeting shortly after installation of the floor. (I have already covered some portions of the crawlspace)

Now, the room I am laying the laminate in is a wood subfloor, covered with a black tar paper (says "Congoleum Gold Seal" on it) and over that is wonderful (LOL) peel and stick vinyl tile. The tiles are popping up all over the place. It DID have a carpet and pad over that, which I removed. I stapled down and secured the tiles which were loose, as I was told it was easier to put the laminate over the vinyl, versus pulling it all up. It is flat with no lifting edges.

When the tiles were lifted, I could smell a faint musty smell- not detectable unless you are literally sniffing the back of the tiles. Don't know if thats moisture from the crawlspace, or just from old vinyl, or things being spilled on the rug, etc. The house does get a bit damp- as we have radiant hot water heat. We use a dehumidifier in the winter.

My question is.... do I need to lay plastic sheeting over the top of the vinyl tiles in ADDITION to sheeting over the dirt floor in the crawlspace, or is this overkill and looking for more trouble??

Thank you for your advice in advance.....we are planning on installing this tomorrow.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-08, 05:19 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The current vinyl floors is a decent moisture barrier in itself, but I would install a 6mil poly barrier, or another layer of roofing paper to maintain any type of warranty.

Old 05-03-08, 11:47 AM
Originally Posted by HotinOKC View Post
The current vinyl floors is a decent moisture barrier in itself, but I would install a 6mil poly barrier, or another layer of roofing paper to maintain any type of warranty.
Thanks for your reply- should I do the poly in ADDITION to, or INSTEAD of the poly barrier on the dirt floor of the crawlspace??

Old 05-03-08, 11:56 AM
A friend of mine just removed all his laminate flooring after finding water under it. His house is elevated on concrete piers approx. 24".
He had to seal the bottom of the floor joist with foil backed foam.
The temperature difference between the top side of the flooring to the bottom side (above the sub floor) was causing the floor to sweat.