any trick to installing Dupont laminate floor

Old 05-09-08, 10:54 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Talking any trick to installing Dupont laminate floor

Started installing dupont elite laminate floor and am having a heck of a time locking the tiles. They lock easily when its only one side but when it comes to the second row where you have an end and a side to do at the same time it's hard. Anyone have any tricks to doing it?? It's the tile look with three tiles to a sheet 12x36. Any held greatly appreciated. Also is it okay to do say three one direction and then some the opposite direction?

Old 05-09-08, 12:19 PM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I assume you've been to their site's instructions:
http://www2.dupont.com/Laminate_Floo...tallation.html

I know when I put Pergo down you kind of had to lift the one to the left of your new piece while hinging it into the board on the long edge at the same time. After a while you kind of get the knack for it.
Good luck!
B

Old 05-09-08, 02:29 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You won't be able to face the planks in opposite directions without cutting off the tongue and glueing every piece.

Old 05-09-08, 03:12 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Its not so much a trick as it is a technique. The first row needs to be solid against the starting wall, Use lots of spacers to keep it from moving. If it wiggles at all when trying to get the second row in, you will not be successful.

For the second and subsequent courses, here is the technique. Put the short end in first as tight to the first row as possible. You should be tight on the end and off by the thickness of the tounge for the rest of the piece. Lift up on the long open side so that it is 3 inches off the floor while keeping the first row flat on the floor. Postition the T&G so that they are aligned, and wiggle a little to see if it will go in on its own. If not, then pull out your trusty tapping block and "gently" tap to get the board to seat itself. As you tap, the board will begin to settle itself flat to the floor. If the board is not seated correctly, it will not lay flat to the floor.

I've put in whole rooms without ever using the tapping block. So there is a technique to it. You just have to practice.

Laminate with a tile pattern may require additional material. Unlike wood patterns, where scraps can be used as starter pieces, tile patterns have to match up grout lines. Most likely your end cuts can not be used as starters unless the math works out exactly on the room layout. Therefore, make sure of your layout prior to getting too far into the job

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: