deep scratches

Old 05-12-08, 05:40 AM
deep scratches

I have just completed the first room in the house, however, I have encountered a much bigger problem. As I was laying the last rows of board, my dog walked in and then ran back out leaving some very deep scratches in the wood. THIS WOOD IS TOO SOFT! Im not sure what I am going to do next. If I continue with this wood the way it is, its going to be scratched up all over the house. Would a coat of poly help to protect it? Are there any brands that are tough enough to handle this kind of abuse? I recall solid wood (typical new construction) taking it with no problem... and this is what I expected out of my wood. So, I either need to be able to put some sort of coating on this wood, or find a better solution. Any suggestions?

I hope the flooring place will take back the unopened boxes (1300sqft), if my only solution is to find a brand with a tougher top layer.

Maybe it would help to describe the dog... 50lb pit bull, who, although is 8 yrs old, is still very energetic.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-08, 06:09 AM
Deep scratches through finish and into wood are indicative of perhaps a softer species of wood and a large dog with sharp nails. Some wood species are harder than others and probably not so prone to deep scratches into the wood, but I do not believe there is a scratch proof finish. American cherry is very soft. Oak is reasonably hard and makes for a durable floor. Hickory is harder. And, many of the exotic species are harder still, but large dog owners report scratches.

Most dog owners are pretty relaxed about their hardwood floors, knowing in advance that there will be scratches. Keeping dog's nails trimmed is recommended. Most prefinished hardwood floor manufacturer's have touchup kits for their wood.

Here's a previous discussion: http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=251048

How to dremmel a dog's nails:
http://homepages.udayton.edu/~merens...awn/index.html

To protect hardwood floors, place mats inside and outside the doors to catch grit. Place runners in high traffic areas where both people and dogs travel. Run dust mop or brush attachment frequently to collect grit which can sand away finish, especially in high traffic areas.

Old 05-12-08, 07:27 AM
It is a red oak engineered snap-fit. I expected there to be scratches, but i didnt expect the scratches to go that deep. Has anyone tried putting a few coats of poly on top of a prefinished floating hardwood?

Old 05-13-08, 10:27 AM
I have golden oak hardwood, similarly damaged by our two goldens. I have used Minwax's stain/poly in one, and it looked great for a few months - but now the dogs have pretty much dug through that too. I'm thinking of replacing my hardwood with laminate. We have laminate (looks like light maple) in our RV. Although the dogs have certainly tried, no damage yet and it's been 5 years. One thing - it took FOREVER for that stain/poly to dry! Several days, in fact. Good luck!

Old 05-13-08, 11:20 AM
How did you apply the urethane? Did it look even and feel normal after it was dry? Did it prevent deep scratches from the dogs?

Old 05-13-08, 03:41 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Please keep your questions in one thread. I'll keep this one the way it is, but further questions on the same project should be kept in the same thread.

Old 05-13-08, 05:02 PM
Application of new finish on new flooring would avoid any finish warranties. No wood flooring manufacturer offers a finish warranty that covers pet damage. Following manufacturer's care and maintenance instructions is recommended in order not to void warranties.

"I have used Minwax's stain/poly in one, and it looked great for a few months - but now the dogs have pretty much dug through that too." Applying new finish on new flooring offers no additional protection from pet damage.

Old 05-14-08, 09:03 AM
Ive decided that I will just have to change to a high-end laminate. What I didnt like about the laminate is that most you can definately tell its not real wood. I convinced my wife to just come with me to look at laminates and consider the idea. Things went well and we were able to find a few that were good enough to fool you. The easiest way to tell the difference was how the light reflects off of it. We found a few that reflected the light just the same as the real wood. Anyone tried the Armstrong L6551 Santos Mahogany? That was one of our favorites. Id like to get some feedback from anyone who has this flooring. How does it hold up to pet wear? I think I will probably buy one box just to do some testing of my own. Not gonna jump right into that again. Thanks for any/all feedback.

also... armstrong grand illusions brazilian jatoba L3023. Anyone tried it?

Old 05-14-08, 04:21 PM
Top 4 laminates (in order) according to a leading consumer magazine.

Armstrong Nature's Gallery American Duet

Kronotex SwiftLock Plus (Lowes) CR Best Buy

Wilsonart Estate Plus

Pergo Vintage Home Planks

Wilsonart and Pergo got above average scores in scratch resistance.