Polyurathane for steps

Old 05-16-08, 05:11 PM
Polyurathane for steps

We just put down solid red oak stair case and want to stain and polyurathane them. The guy who did the floors used a semigloss first then a satin over that. He said it looks better with a clearer deeper look and holds up better than just 2 of satin. He ended up putting a third of satin since he had to redo some wood boards. Someone else in a store said don't mix even though it is the same brand. (Major brand) I need to get a coat down quick to then install the railing.
Any guidance?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-08, 03:55 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It doesn't hurt anything to apply satin over semi-gloss and you should sand between coats anyway. Finishing the stairs just like he finished the floor should garuntee the same finshed look.

Old 05-19-08, 07:05 AM
Polyurathane

Thanks for the reply. I got pads to apply. If this doesn't apply well, I have pure bristle brushes as well. Using fine Steel wool for between coats and tack cloth to clean it.

Old 05-19-08, 03:54 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
just to make sure - steel wool should only be used with solvent based coatings, any specs of steel wool will rust if coated with waterbased!

Old 05-19-08, 06:40 PM
Thanks for preventing a nightmare. I did use steel wool on another single counter I stained and coated with polyurathane. This was a flat piece, easy to use a tack cloth. I'll have to check for rust. I'll use 400 or 600 sand paper on the steps to be sure of no rust. Thanks, again.

Old 05-20-08, 03:17 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
IMO 400 grit is overkill. I alway use 220 for the final sanding over poly. If you haven't already noticed any rust on the countertop, you probably removed all the steel specs and won't have a problem.