Hardwood installation, nail or staple?

Old 05-19-08, 03:19 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hardwood installation, nail or staple?

I will be installing 3/4 inch inch select pre-finished red oak hardwood over new 1.25 inch subfloor. I think it should be nailed but the person I bought it from said they use 2 inch staples (he did not say that is what was recommended, just what his installers use)
Seems that the staples could pull out over time. I have had creaky squeaky floors for years and would rather nail if that would be best.

recommendations?

thanks for any tips
bigdave

Old 05-19-08, 05:00 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
If you use cleats, some some with a serrated edge. Like a ring shanked nail, it helps "bite" into the wood for additional holding power. Staples are like common nails - straight shafted. Easier to put in, but not nearly as strong at holding the floor down. It will be "tight" in the beginning, but over time, you may develop squeaks and such.

Old 05-28-08, 04:39 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
i'VE LAID THOUSANDS OF FEET OF HARDWOOD FLOOR, WE USE 2" STAPLES * STAPLES HAVE A GLUE COATING ON THEM THAT ACTUALLY HEATS UP AS STAPLE GOES THROUGH YOUR HARDWOOD INTO YOUR SUB FLOOR, NEVER HAD ANY FLOORS SQUEAKING AFTER INSTALL, BUT IF YOU FEEL LIKE USING THE NAILS BY ALL MEANS POUND AWAY, THERES NOTHIN WRONG WITH THAT APPLICATION EITHER.

MAFIAMAN

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: