Not gyp-crete; not sure what it is?


Old 05-20-08, 01:03 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 4
Not gyp-crete; not sure what it is?

Here is the situation.

I live in a condominium community constructed in Northern Virginia in the 1988-89 timeframe. The flooring system is based upon a 3/4" plywood sub-floor with a 1/2" to 3/4" poured material on top of the plywood. Wall framing was in place since the sole plate 2 x 4s are partially embedded in the material.

From what I can determine, it's not gyp-crete. It is a sand based material (crumbles rather easily when wet) with minimal binder type material.

Question #1: Has anyone else seen such a floor covering material before?
Question #2: What is this material called?
Question #3: Is there anyway to stabilize it from cracking and/or repair any cracks that already exist?


-R Rzepka
Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-08, 04:26 PM
HotxxxxxxxOKC's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 8,044
Sounds like a mud bed to me. Was there anything on top of this floor like tile?
Old 05-23-08, 06:20 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 4
Hi Mark,

It doesn't appear to be a mud bed.

The original builder "poured" it throughout the 1st floor. So, I have it underneath the vinyl flooring in the bathrooms and kitchen as well as underneath the wall-to-wall carpeting in the bedrooms, dining room, living room and hallways.

One other interesting aspect of this material is that seems to hold up rather well until is gets soaking wet. Once wet for some period of time, it literally dissolves into this sand like particles.


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes