Tung oil on floors

Old 05-20-08, 03:44 PM
Tung oil on floors

I have hardwood flooring in my 10 yr. old home and I want them to look like they are something you would find in a 100 year old home. The builder only put 1, maybe two coats of polyurethane on them and every little scratch shows up. I have 3 kids, 1 dog and 3 cats and the floors take a lot of abuse. I love the look of the floors in Cracker Barrel restuarants and want to know if I can get that look with tung oil. I would even like to "distress" my floors to make them look older. Anyone have any tips?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-08, 06:35 PM
Talking

if you have poly on the floors and want to put on tung oil, you will need to strip them. tung oil is a old school finish for fine furniture. never heard of using it on floors. they would surely scratch then. it takes a WHILE for the wood to soak up enough tung oil to protect them from the elements. doesn't sound like a feasable idea to me, but then they are not my floors. might get expensive too.

if the dog, cat and kids stay on them long enough, they WILL be distressed!

Old 05-21-08, 03:44 AM
Thanks for the quick reply. I have done some reading online about tung oil on floors and have seen some that say they are very easy to maintain and other say they are not practical. I don't mind reapplying once a year that is no problem at all. There is a Waterlox brand for floors but it is expensive. I just wondered if anyone else had experience with making floors look "old" as most people just want perfect floors with a great finish that is maintenance free. I have seen the look I want in magazines like Country Home etc. but they never mention how they get the look. Yeah, my kids and animals are distressing them at a faster than normal pace!

Old 05-21-08, 04:20 AM
Distressed and hand scraped flooring lines are now available from many manufacturers. The wider the plank, the less formal the look too. Other distress flooring via abuse with chains, etc. Search on distressing wood work. Probably too late for all those options for you. Sounds like you have water based poly applied. Sanding, distressing and finishing with an oil based finish would be one option. You could just refinish with an oil based finish and let time take over, as that would get you closer. Waterlox is a great product, but you're right, expensive. It will be hard to get that Country Home look now though as some pictures may very well be old salvaged barn wood planks. What wood species do you have? If it's pine, normal wear and tear will distress them well over time. If it's Ipe, that's another story.

Old 05-21-08, 05:05 AM
My floors are oak, and I think the builder who installed them skimped on the number of coats of finish (1 or 2). I have googled distressed flooring and they all pretty much say to finish with poly or something else that takes way too long to dry (numerous coats and sanding in between etc.). I Maybe I'm asking for something that just isn't possible, haha.
Also, I'm not sure if they finished with a water based finish on my floors or not.

Old 05-21-08, 05:37 AM
Old 05-21-08, 07:08 AM
Thanks! That sounds exactly like what I want except they don't mention what that protective coat is? I guess I will just keep searching! Thanks again.