Scared but Need A Floor!

Old 05-29-08, 10:23 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Scared but Need A Floor!

The vinyl flooring in our kitchen is pretty well shot. I've never done a job like this and need to figure out if I can do it. The kitchen has a lot of cabinets, a slider type door to a deck, crappy stick-on vinyl mop boards, squeaky sections etc. The house was built in '84. The vinyl is of a wood grain type and actually can be made to look good with elbow grease but when the deck and slider were put in (the slider meant removing part pf a wall and relo of heating pipes) the assumption was we'd re-do the kitchen the following year. All my extra funds are now being funneled to Exxon-Mobil and if I want the kitchen done I'm gonna have to buy some tools and do it myself.
Is it worth taking one of the Box-Store classes about floor install? Are there some good books or web sites to help with the planning and explainations about how to measure and cut? I know I can do this if I have at least a little clue where to begin.
Thanks Much

Old 05-29-08, 02:44 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Well, I worked at Home Depot, and we only had a small tile class once a week. We never get into all the specifics because of time constraints. We never offered a hardwood/laminate class.

What are your intentions? What type of floor?

Measuring is easy and cutting isn't hard either. It just takes practice on scrape pieces of flooring to figure it out.

Old 05-29-08, 04:17 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
No matter the choice in floor covering, you need to repair the squeaks. If there is access from below you can shim. You may need to screw down plywood subfloor from above. Locate the squeaks and determine the best approach to eliminate.

What size joists and how far apart are they? Once you decide the type of flooring you want, then you can follow the recommendations for the proper subfloor prep, underlayment, installation method, acclimation, etc.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: