Hardwood install vertical?

Old 06-06-08, 02:20 PM
Hardwood install vertical?

Ok so I have been reading on the forums to find out which way to install our hardwood. In the living and dining room the hard wood will be installed crossing the floor joists. My question is that we have a 23ft hallway and I am wondering if I should install the hardwood along the longest wall which runs with the floor joists not crossing them. My darling mother seems to think that I should go against the rule of crossing the floor joists for aesthetic reasons but this would mean that when the hallway meets the living room the floor will change direction. What is the proper way to do this?

Thanks
Loreyna

Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-08, 01:55 PM
With floor joist changes in some homes it's almost unavoidable. If it was my home and a small hallway, I would go for it. If you can get under the subfloor (in hallway area) and give it extra support by way of sister joists it should provide enough support. Another option is adding more strength to the subfloor by adding more plywood. The largest single reason for not going with the floor joist system is potential sagging and seperation,gapping that may happen later.