Lami vs. Engi Hardwood and color

Old 06-06-08, 08:19 PM
Lami vs. Engi Hardwood and color

Hello,

This will be my first time posting here, however given the extent of the home renovation project I am currently undertaking I have no doubt that I will be back time and time again.

Thus far I have had very little strife in my decision making process, my electrician was my brother in law, my father in law is helping me with the grunt work and the plumber is my brothers in laws buisness partner. My framer is my little sisters brother in law.

But now im at the point where I just get too much conflicting information.

I am trying to decide on flooring, my wife and I have about 1200 sqft of 8mm beveled edge lami in a medium brown, maybe a bit to the darker side. But as we look around were finding its not what we really wanted in comparison to some of the newer things that we have seen in the past few weeks.

So onto the specifics of my question. I am hung up between a Espresso Maple Engineered hardwood or going with laminent. The Engie has the color my wife and I are looking for with the obvious benefit of engineered being real wood. But after seeing some of the newer laminents out there im realizing that they are becoming more and more like the real thing every day. The darkest lami's we have been able to find so far are all walnuts and they look anything from black to red depending on the light. We are hoping to get a fairly dark floor, perhaps not jet black but black in the sense of being very neutral. Any suggestions?

As for the type here is the biggest issue. Snap together lami $2.75ish for one ive looked at. 12.3mm. Engie $2.99. This alone is irrelivant and leans me towards the engie. However, install on lami i can do myself, engineer i have no idea and would double the cost. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-08, 07:12 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Depends what type of engineered. Some engineered can be floated just like laminent and should cost the same to install.

For example, at the HD I worked at, the prices were the following to install:

Float/Click Lamainte/Engineered - $2.29Sqft (included 6 mil poly)

Nail/Stample down - $3.25 sqft
Glue Down - $3.69 sqft

Prices will vary from place to place.

Just remember that engineered wood will scratch and dent easier then a good quality laminent.

Old 06-07-08, 08:43 AM
Thanks for the info.

Its good to know that I can find a floating Engineered. The ware and tear is obviously a concern, but not a determining factor. The true final decision is going to be based on what the floor looks like. So, now i just need to find an espresso or ebony stained tight grained wood like maple in a click together engineered look.

I need more flooring stores.

Thanks again.

Old 06-08-08, 10:56 AM
Eng'd VS. Lami

There will never, in my opinion, be a lami that looks natural enough to look like wood. Even many awful eng'd wood floors look too much like lami to me. The click-eng'd floors are easy to install and IF you can't get the exact color you like, remember - eng'd flooring IS wood and can, with care, be darkened down the road. It may be pre-finished but it is not impermiable. I nice coat of paste wax after you are done and you will love it!!!! And if it is not hard as steel, thats what wood is supposed to be, natural and liable to small imperfections. Plastic (lami) is not natural and will never look like real wood.

Old 06-08-08, 11:10 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by ibiza18 View Post
There will never, in my opinion, be a lami that looks natural enough to look like wood.
I beg to differ. You should see mine. I bet you couldn't tell if it's real wood or laminate.

Old 06-08-08, 11:13 AM
Engineered wood floors should not be waxed or oiled or cleaned with products containing waxes or oils. This will contaminate the wood and will cause adhesion problems when it comes time to refinish. Follow manufacturer's instructions for care and maintenance.