Floating floor construction

Old 06-07-08, 07:59 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Floating floor construction

Hi all,

I am trying to decide on how to install a new wooden floor in my kitchen. It has an old (~60 yrs) concrete screeded floor, which I believe does not have a damp proof membrane installed. It is probably not very level (though I dont know exactly how flat it is yet until I remove the current covering and kitchen units etc. I believe part of it has had a layer of bituminous self levelling stuff poured over it which has the current ceramic tile covering on top of it.

I would ideally like to lay a floor of pine T&G boards over battens attached to, or floating on the floor. I do not want to use an impervious flooring material such as most engineered laminate flooring because I want the concrete floor to be able to ''breathe' and release any moisture that may be in it due to the lack of a membrane.

Could anyone make any suggestions on how to go about constructing a battened wood floor?

Many Thanks,
Rob Irons

Old 06-07-08, 01:48 PM
H
Two layers of plywood attached to one another laid over the older concrete may be a solution for you. Screw two layers of 7/16" or 1/2" ply together while overlapping the underlying plywood seams. Don't attach to concrete. Use moisture barries under plywood such as 6 or 8 mil visqueen(plastic sheething) found near the paint department in the big box stores.

Once it's all said and done you can nail or staple solid 3/4" over the ply, providing it doesn't increase the floor height to cause problems with other entities.

Old 06-08-08, 10:41 AM
I
Floating floor

I agree with Hardwood... Only thing to add is to make sure you leave a 1/2" expansion space along all edges of the plywood AND leave a 1/2" expansion between each sheet of plywood AND make sure the top layer of ply is set so that the expansion joints on first level are covered. I have had 3 floating floors over many years and they are the best... strong, sturdy, they cut down on transmitted noise, and yet have just enough give to feel great.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: