Lowe's wood planks...warped?

Old 06-09-08, 01:33 AM
Lowe's wood planks...warped?

I just bought 9 boxes of locking engineered hardwood flooring. Opened them up and according to instructions stacked them all in the room out of the box. Took a few over to practice assembling them, and they are warped.

They are all warped. A few assembled pieces on a flat floor is bowed up in the middle. Will it settle down when all pieces are installed? I'm thinking no, but this is my first time on this kind of job.

It just seems very bizarre that out of 9 boxes EVERY board has a slight bowing to it.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-08, 07:54 AM
Take the flooring back. Purchase from a local reputable flooring retailer that carries a major brand with a rack that displays good, better, best levels of quality, warranty, and price. You may pay a little more, but you will get the best quality your budget will allow.

Old 06-09-08, 08:53 AM
Thanks. I'm taking them back today.

Old 06-09-08, 02:24 PM
I have a feeling you'll probably get the same if you're looking for an even swap. It's not uncommon to have what are called "banana boards" with engineered flooring. Happens with the best of manufacturers.

The instructions actually said remove all boards from the cartons? Some engineered flooring manufacturers actually wrap the product in plastic bagging and should not be opened until the time of installation.

Old 06-09-08, 02:54 PM
It was in the box, and in the plastic bagging. All the instructions said was to store the flooring material outside the box. It didn't say anything about keeping the bag on it.

I took one to the store and opened a brand new box there and they all had the same characteristic. I don't think it's an acclimating problem because they were like this right out of the box.

I also assembled a very large piece of them, and it seemed to straighten out once a few of them were locked tightly together.

I measured the amount of bowing in a single piece and it is about 1/8 in at the highest middle point. They're 3' boards.

update: I made a mistake, the plastic wrap was on the outside of the box not on the boards inside. Anyway I exchanged them and the new ones are nice and straight.

Last edited by finoffice; 06-09-08 at 05:41 PM. Reason: more info