Do I need underlayment on 2nd floor?

Old 06-09-08, 07:50 AM
Do I need underlayment for wood flooring on 2nd storey?

I plan to install the Parquet floot on second floor of my house. Below the carpet there is OSB board (thick wood pieces glued and pressed together).

I was told by Home Depot people that I can glue parquet floor directly on the plywood. But not on the particle board.

Lowes person said that I need to but the HardieBacker Cement board first, then glue the wood floor.

Question 1: Do I need any underlayment? Can I glue directly on the OSB board (thick wood pieces glued and pressed together) or not?

Question 2: Do I need the Hardie Backer Cement board as underlayment?

Question 3: Can I put 3/16 plywood sheet on top of the OSB board? Then glue directly on the plywood sheet.

Thanks alot in advance for your advice.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-08, 07:58 AM
What brand product? What are the manufacturer's instructions? It is important to follow manufacturer's instructions in order not to void warranties. Each manufacturer has its own specific instructions. There is no one size fits all when it comes to flooring products.

Old 06-09-08, 02:30 PM
Hard to say without actually seeing what type of OSB it really is. It suprises me they would say cement board...makes no sense to me. I would add the plywood but thicker(glue and screw to subfloor). This way you'll get the same feel and sound when walking over both areas after the installation.