Problem in determining best direction to lay laminate flooring

Old 06-18-08, 01:33 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Problem in determining best direction to lay laminate flooring

Hello,

I have read that the best way to lay laminate is in the direction the light enters the room. The windows on my home are almost all on the north and south sides, so it would seem best to run the flooring north south. However, the main hallway in the house runs east west and if I run the laminate north south there I will have very short lengths (four feet) and I think this would look strange in the long hallway. Would it be resonable to change the direction for only the hallway, or would that be weird as well? Or should I ignore the light advice and run everything east west?

I am on a concrete slab, so no worry about joists.

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-08, 01:44 AM
I would go length wise in the hallway....it would look weird going across (width wise)

Old 06-18-08, 05:30 PM
Thanks for the feedback.

That is what I thought, but should I go east west for the whole house, or north south for the whole house except for the hallway?

If I change directions, how would I go about doing that so it would look nice?

Old 06-18-08, 05:48 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It would not be odd to have the hallway run north to south, thats how mine is, and it looks great. Having it this way also eliminates a transition piece between these two areas.

Old 06-19-08, 03:46 PM
Originally Posted by HotinOKC View Post
It would not be odd to have the hallway run north to south, thats how mine is, and it looks great. Having it this way also eliminates a transition piece between these two areas.
So, it looks like this?:

______
______
______
______
______
______
______
______
______
______
______
______
______
______

Old 06-19-08, 04:29 PM
Somewhat, you can stagger the seams. I'll take a pic of mine and you can see. Give me a few minutes.

Old 06-19-08, 04:38 PM
Ok, here are some. The wife recently painted the hallway, so now I gotta refinish all the door jams.....bah.... This floor in this hall run the same way as the rest of my living room which is on the other side of that white gate.

Old 06-19-08, 11:40 PM
Thanks, Mark,

That helps a lot!

Old 06-20-08, 06:52 AM
Mark, your hallway looks exactly like mine used to look. I have since replaced all those doors with the raised 6 panel doors. I also replaced all the old stained trim/baseboard. The white looks sooooo much better, and really brightens up what was a dark hallway.

To get back on point, I had a similar issue when putting the laminate in my main level. It included a living room, kitchen/dining room, and a hallway. It was laid out probably like yours was. I was worried that the living room, which is kind of long and somewhat skinny, would loook crappy with the laminate boards going the long way. I considered putting them in widthwise. I then considered putting the whole main level in widthwise, but then thought the hallway would look like crap with the boards going the way Marks are. I thought about transitions, etc. I was overthinking it all.

What I ended up doing was the entire main level with the boards all going one direction. The hallway is the opposite of what Mark has. I thought it might look too much like a bowling alley, but it really doesn't. In fact, I hardly even notice the floor direction anymore.

Moral of the story...go with what you think looks the best. I went with laying the boards along the long walls, and it worked well for me.

Old 07-13-08, 02:14 AM
I have a similar quandary. My wife wants new flooring in the kitchen (runs north/south) and hallway (runs east/west), but our windows and doors are on the east/west side.

While it may be counter to conventional wisdom, I may run the flooring north/south with it crossing the hall as HotinOKC has done. It may simplify some of the transitions as well since we have a split level and there will be the stairs to the lower level, the stairs to the second floor and the doorway to the half bath in the hall area.

We also have a brick veneer finish on the south wall of the kitchen and hallway and the west wall would be a smoother starting point.