Color of choice on Red Oak floors

Old 06-19-08, 07:49 AM
Color of choice on Red Oak floors

I have sanded my red oak floors and am ready for the stain. I don't like the look of natural red oak with the red/orange/white color and want a rich brownish color.

Can that be done, and if so how is it done? Does the floor need a fine sanding finish and then apply gel stain, or what?

Thanks, Bud

Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-08, 02:07 PM
Go to www.nofma.org and click Publications and then How To Manuals and Download for free the National Oak Flooring Manufacturers Association's technical manual on Finishing Wood Floors. It explains the sanding process and the different grit sizes required to achieve a smooth surface.

Once desired stain color is selected, read and follow label directions for application. Stain color will vary from color chart. It is best to test the stain on a piece of red oak test the stain on your floor in an inconspicuous location such as a corner, as stain color will vary from color charts. Apply stain in a circular motion with cloth rags, spreading as evenly as possible to keep color consistent. Wipe off excess. Some prefer to brush on stain and wipe off excess. Note that no two boards have the same grain pattern or color and there will be variation in coloration of boards. Allow stain to dry. Then, you are ready for application of finish.