Plywood Floor Question

Old 06-20-08, 08:54 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Plywood Floor Question

Hello

My husband and I just purchased our first home and it needs a fair amount of work.
We are replacing all the flooring with an engineered hardwood.

There is a back addition / sunroom however that will be full renovated in the next couple of years. We are not laying down the new floor here.

We are looking to update this room before our renovation (since we are not yet sure when we will be able to even think about starting it)

It will be a casual room, so I do not want to do anything fancy

I was thinking of pulling up the current tile, fixing any areas of the current plywood subfloor that need fixing and than laying over top a more finished plywood floor.

Here are my questions:
-1) is there a particular size that I need to cut the plywood too for stability? Ideally we would rather leave in larger sheets -- potentially 4 x 4 sheets? Is this ok for stability?
-2) Since I am planning on just having exposed plywood, would it be possible to just replace the existing subfloor with a nicer, finished plywood and than leave that exposed for now? Or is there a structural reason that I should have two layers there? I was thinking perhaps because of insulation?

Any help would be appreciated.
We are trying to make this project as cost-efficient as possible and we are open to a more industrial / rough look in this space. However, we do not want to skimp on areas that are important ..

Thanks so much!

Alison

Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-08, 03:53 PM
Group Moderator
Received 58 Votes on 55 Posts
How bad is the floor now that you think plywood would be a good alternative? I would lean toward leaving it until you did the real upgrade down the road.

Old 06-23-08, 03:08 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
not sure what height issues you may run into so consider that in the thickness of the plywood you choose to go over the old floor with, 3/4" is always best but you need to measure to ensure a smooth transition between rooms. Also try and stick with full 4x8 sheets as much as possible, fewer seems are alway better.

As far as flooring covering, assuming the room isn't too big, 12x12 vinyl peel and stick tile could be an affordable option. You could also consider painting the plywood - a nice battleship gray for your rough industrial look, or have fun with it and create checkerboard pattern on a 45 degree angle.