Help w/ wood floor glue!

Old 06-24-08, 12:06 PM
Help w/ wood floor glue!

My husband and I just installed engineered hardwood floors in our home that we had to glue down. The glue was messy and we did our best to be sure to clean up after ourselves as we went along with mineral spirits.

The color is Santos Mahogany and it is beautiful, but I can still see spots on the planks that look like glue. I bought Bostik's glue adhesive wipes and not everything is coming up! The colors of the planks are dark and show everything and I am so frustrated that I can't remove the spots. Could anyone give me any suggestions on what to do?? TIA!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-08, 02:39 PM
Group Moderator
What's the finish on the floor? Any removal instructions for the glue? The solvent that will work for you is one recommended for the glue but to which the finish on the floor is impervious. The bad news is that dried glue is often very difficult to remove.

Old 06-24-08, 02:58 PM
I called the # on the glue container, they said try WD40. It's working on some spots, but not all. Thanks.

Old 06-24-08, 03:15 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Is this the Santos Mohagony from big orange? I've gotten numerous complaints that this floor scratches and dents VERY easily.......let us know how it turns out.

Old 06-24-08, 06:29 PM
Group Moderator
I'v had decent results with WD40 as an adhesive remover. Lots of elbow grease still required.

Old 06-24-08, 08:37 PM
It's called Capri Santos Mahogany, but we do already have a few scratches.

The WD 40 is going to be a lot of work..

Old 06-30-08, 06:29 PM
I find the stubborn spots come off even after days with a dry finger and rubbing hard. Hard enough to make a squeaking sound as you rub. It balls the rest of the sdhesive left, like an eraser.

I freak people out getting them off during inspections, when the installer and everyone under the sun has tried all kinds of chemicals.