Finish on Wood floor not Sanding off!

Old 06-24-08, 05:37 PM
Finish on Wood floor not Sanding off!

After much discussion my wife and I decided to hire someone to sand and finish our "hard" pine floors in our old farmhouse that we are remodeling. The first Day my contractor got about a 2' x 6' area stripped and ate up several sanding belts at 60 grit. He called and said he would be back today with some 36 grit and that would surely do the trick. Well today he got about an additional 4' section and called and said he did not think he was going to be able to get the finish off inless I stripped it using some type of chemical stripper first. My question is what would be the best type of low toxicity stripper to use? Many years ago I used Stypeeze and that stuff worked on furniture but it is not very healthy to be around and the thought of stripping about 600 sqr ft of flooring with that type of product does not set well with me. Any information or advice would be very much appreciated. I hate to do it but I'am considering carpet or laminate if this is going to be to costly and or time consuming. I get the idea that this is going to be a pretty big pain in the butt considering the size of the rooms i'am doing.
thanks again
lamoka

Last edited by lamoka; 06-24-08 at 05:39 PM. Reason: horrible typing skills
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-08, 04:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Is your contractor a reputable floor refinisher?

I'm a painter, not a floor finisher and seldom use any strippers but I've never heard of any finish not sanding off using aggressive grit. Sometimes a stain will go deep into the wood and be impossible to remove but a finish is basically on top of the wood and a drum sander shouldn't have any problems.

Last edited by marksr; 06-25-08 at 05:07 AM. Reason: fix typo
Old 06-25-08, 04:44 AM
I've used a product called zipstrip in the past to remove finish from the floor. It was VERY messy, and burns like the devil when you get some on your skin. It did work though, the finish just wiped right off after I let the stripping agent set on the wood for awhile. I'm curious, is the guy doing your wood floor plugging his sander into a 110 plug on the wall, or is he plugging into a 220 plug???

Old 06-25-08, 11:55 AM
The Guy I hired has been doing floor refinishing for about three years not a real long time but I know him and he is honest as the day is long. He hooked directly into a 30amp 220 breaker at my panel box. He did get in touch with a guy today that has been doing floors for years and was told to try and run the sander against the grain of the boards first and then finish the sanding with the grain supposedly this will help, I'am a little skepticale as to how effective this will be but maybe it will work. I did get some stripper "safer stripper" from 3-m and that seems to be pretty effective but it is going to be way time consuming. As a side note I tested some spots with my R.O. 5" sander and had the same results as he did with his floor sander. The finish balls up on the paper in spots and makes it useless after about 30 seconds of sanding I tried 40 grit and 80 grit and had same results with both. The little residue balls get veryhard and are impossible to remove from the disks or the belt. The Grit is still there but with the hardend finish on the surface of the paper the grit is not contacting the floor. I guess this weekend I will try stripping again on a bigger portion when I have more time and see how that goes. Meanwhile thanks for the help and if anyone has any more ideas please let me know!!
Thanks again
Lamoka

Old 06-25-08, 04:45 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It would be nice to know what finish is currently on the floor, sounds almost bullet proof - bet it would wear for a long time

Old 06-25-08, 05:57 PM
It sounds like latex paint. Is it a clear finish? Perhaps it was a latex-based urethane or some such finish?

Old 06-25-08, 06:26 PM
It is a clear yellowish finish the previous owners supposedly redid the floors in the early 60's to bad they are not still around to tell me what they put on it. If it was not so dark we might have gotten away with leaving them alone the finish was still pretty good just way to dark it seems to have yellowed pretty bad with age. I realize pine yellows but this is even darker then what pine would darken so I'am thinking the finish must have darkened or they put a stain on prior to the clearcoat. I'am till waiting to see if the differnt sanding technique is going to work but I'am figuring on doing some major stripping the next couple weekends i will keep you all posted.
Thanks again
Lamoka

Old 06-26-08, 05:20 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Oil base poly/varnish always yellow or amber with age.