Best way to clean laminate floors?

Old 06-28-08, 08:25 AM
Best way to clean laminate floors?

What is the best way to clean laminate floors after sweeping them?
I'm just taking a poll of the pros on this one because I saw a lot of negative reviews about the cleaner I am using.
Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-08, 08:53 AM
Group Moderator
Damp mop. Too much moisture can be a problem, so don't use a lot of water.

My wife uses a Hoover FloorMate and dilutes the citrus Mr. Clean in it.

Old 06-30-08, 04:20 PM
If there are negatives about the cleaner you're using, don't use it.

Laminate wood floors right? Vinegar/water solution is good enough.

Old 07-14-08, 12:19 PM
i second the vote for vinegar & water. i used to use the Clorox wet mop & the related cleaner and it worked fine. but when my bottle of cleaner ran out, i just re-filled the empty bottle with the vinegar/water solution (1 cup white distilled vinegar to 1 gallon water) and it's working just as well for waaaaaay yonder less money!!! it works for laminate floors as well as polyurethane finished hardwoods. Tip: run your cleaning pad under water & ring it out first, before putting it on the mop. you'll use even less of the cleaner that way, since it's already damp.

and NEVER NEVER NEVER use any cleaner with any kind of oily stuff in it on laminate floors. it'll only leave a schmeary residue on your floors. laminate floors already have a finish on them. you don't need to apply any additional "finish" on them - nothing to make them shinier or anything to "moisturize" the "wood" (hello, they're not wood!). all you need is water to clean off the dirt & maybe the addition of the vinegar to cut thru oils that have gotten on your floor either from cooking splatters or the oils from bare feet.

and for sweeping, i highly recommend the Swiffer sweep & vac thing (sorry, can't remember the name!). it's got the Swiffer dry dust pad on it, plus it's a rechargeable vaccum, so it gets EVERYTHING! the big pieces, the dust, everything!

Old 07-15-08, 03:09 PM
We have tried a variety of laminate cleaners and the best, by far, is Bona Hard Surface cleaner. It is available at some Linen & Things, among other places. Bona has a similar product for hard wood floors but I would not use that on laminate. I spray the Bona on a microfiber mop and use that on the floor. Works great.