Remove wax from hardwood floor

Old 06-29-08, 03:35 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Remove wax from hardwood floor

My wife decided to use Murphys Oil Soap wax on our hardwood floors. What a mistake. The floors look like there is a wax build-up and I would like to remove the the wax on there to get to the stain finish with out removing the stain.
I thought about using a "stripper" on the floor but I'm afraid the stripper would remove the stain.
The floors are only 5 years old as is the finish.
Any ideas from one of you that have experienced this problem will be appreciated.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-08, 04:38 PM
The old fashioned way is to use "Varsol" also sometimes referred to as "Vondaline" which is a form of mineral spirits.Mineral spirits itself will also work.This will remove the Murphy's as well as any other waxes and clean the floor well without impacting the finish.Yes stripper will impact a finish.

There are a variety of products on the market that will also work under most of the better known names in flooring and related lines such as Minwax and Bruce however the main ingredient is mineral spirits.

Simple to do....use rages or if the build up is severe 4/0 steel wool however for Murphy's rags will do fine.

This is a tried and true method that goes back to before there was anything else.I've done it and it works.

Old 07-01-08, 05:20 PM
Thanks SP David!
We will certainly give it a try.
Whynotme!