cat urine smell

Old 07-01-08, 05:32 PM
jfm
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy cat urine smell

We just removed carpeting to install Alloc laminate over a plywood subfloor. I was hoping the cat pee was only in the carpet & pad, but there is still a smell in some areas of the plywood. Before we install the laminate, I would like to do what I can to get rid of the smell. I have used Nature's Miracle on it already. We have a rolled underlayment pad w/vapor barrier to put down under the laminate. Will using KILZ on the plywood or using an additional roll of plastic cover the smell? I really don't want to get into replacing the plywood if I don't have to, I'm not quite THAT handy. Most of the spots are around the perimeter & corners, so whole sheets don't need to be replaced.
If I use KILZ, how long should I wait until it completely dries before installing the floor? (It's high humidity now in NY).

Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-08, 05:29 AM
The *ONLY* product I used that seems to work permanently is something called SCOE10X, available online. Other products work temporarily, but seem to mask the odor rather than eliminate it. And believe me, I've tried most everything out there to help out my parents with a similar problem. It's rather expensive, but it works on virtually any odor. If you go this route, follow directions exactly. If you use KILZ, it will seem to work, but after some time and when the humidity rises, if you're very sensitive to that odor, you'll notice it's back. Good luck.

Old 07-02-08, 10:52 AM
A couple coats of oil based primer/sealer will seal in odors.

http://www.zinnser.com/product_detail.asp?ProductID=164

Old 07-02-08, 03:17 PM
Group Moderator
Received 54 Votes on 51 Posts
Yep, we paint the floor with sealing primer.

Old 07-02-08, 04:49 PM
jfm
Question oil-based primer

Thanks for the input. I have a question about using an oil-based primer. Parts of the floor (on most of the areas to be treated) have some NON-oil-based paint on them already from when the builders sprayed the walls & part of the floor. I didn't think an oil-based primer was compatable with other types(?) If so, than would a water-based primer do as well?
Thanks.

Old 07-02-08, 05:05 PM
Oil based primer will do fine covering the overspray of latex paint. Water-based primers work well for covering stains, but oil-based seals in odors like nicotine, fire and smoke damage, and pet odors.