Laminate install going from room, down hallway, back into rooms

Old 07-07-08, 11:45 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Laminate install going from room, down hallway, back into rooms

I'll be installing some floating, no glue laminate throughout a small house and it's going to be starting in a living room, then down a hall, and into rooms off the hall. I would like to avoid t-molding at doorways, and verified with the flooring manufacturer that it's not necessary for warranty/etc. The rooms are all fairly small and none of the laminate I've installed before in this area suffers from much expansion. My question is - what's the easiest method for laying the floor when I have to work backwards into the rooms off the hallway, after starting in the living room? Here's a very rough sketch to give an idea of the floorplan with dark brown being the laminate areas:

I was planning to start at the top left in the living room, working back towards the hall, then down the hall. Should I get to the hall and then go into the rooms and just calculate how much I need to cut off the first row in order to match up with the row coming down the hall, or try to work backwards into the rooms? The rooms have closets as well, so I can't move the floor around too much if I try to slide it around to match the hall rows.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-08, 06:55 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Personally I think you are crazy not to use transition t-moulding in the doorways, but that is just my opinion. I think there is way too much connected floor area. All it will take is for one room to expand or contract a little more than another, and the whole thing will be out of whack. Not to mention the fact that my using the t-moulding, the project will be a lot easier in my opinion.