Squeaks in 3/4 plywood subfloor

Old 07-09-08, 03:27 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Squeaks in 3/4 plywood subfloor

Hi,
I am going to put in 3/4 Oak flooring but I have squeaks in my 3/4 plywood subfloor. The squeaks/rubbing are on the seams.
The subfloor is glued, nailed and I have added screws. It is only in a couple of spots where the squeaks occur but it is heavy traffic. I tried putting screws on an angle where the plywood might be on sitting the edge of the joist but that did work work.
Should I remove subfloor which I assume is a pain?
Or
Should I take a panel saw blade and cut out a small section of the subfloor and put 2 cleats on the joists with a 2x4 running under the seam where the rubbing occurs? If I go with this method, can I reuse the cut subflooring?
Or any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-08, 07:53 PM
First make sure you're using the correct screws. Do not use fine thread use only course thread. Make sure the screw has at least 1/4" head like a drywall screw. Also use at least 1 5/8" long, 2" is even better.

Old 07-09-08, 08:49 PM
westnlas

Maybe you can use a Skilsaw and cut the edges of the plywood that is binding and causing the squeak. The plywood in the high traffic areas is going to flex some. Sawing a gap at the squeak points would stop this. The oak floor will flex a bit also, but the t & G should make it flex as a unit, and I don't think it will squeak.

Old 07-10-08, 10:43 AM
The prior posts have extreme merits and I will say that they will probaly fix your problem with the squeaks. But, my question to you is: Can you access the floor joists from below (crawl space or basement)? If you can, then use one person above creating the squeaks and you go down below and see if the floor joists are flexing. If the joists are flexing in that one particular area, then you will need to run stringers between those joists to control the flexing.

The easiest fix if you can NOT get to the underside, is to go with using a circular saw (with a carbide blade) and run it down the seam(s) of the sub-floor where the squeaking is occuring. Then seal the cut area with a silicone caulking, remove any excess caulking that may create a hump in the flooring.

Greg in Maine

Last edited by Shadeladie; 07-12-08 at 09:52 AM. Reason: Advertising of company not allowed
Old 07-11-08, 05:57 AM
Thanks
I am using coarse 1 5/8" long drywall screws. It is on the
2nd floor so I cannot get access to the joists.
I will run the blade along the seam and caulk it.