Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Flooring, Floor Coverings and Coatings Center > Solid Hardwood, Engineered and Laminate Flooring
Reload this Page >

I want to nail my floor, but I don't want to rent a nailer, can I use finishing?

I want to nail my floor, but I don't want to rent a nailer, can I use finishing?

Old 07-24-08, 02:13 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I just cut and laid out some oak flooring in my hallway. It is the 3/4 inch red oak flooring. I don't want to rent a nailer because the footage is so small. Can I just use finishing nails, nailed at an angle just like the flooring nails are nailed, into the tongue and driven home with a punch. I know the proper way to do the rest of the nailing, just wondering what is the best nails for this small area.

DanO

Old 07-24-08, 02:56 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
No, finish nails are not strong enough. Get the nailer...it should only cost you about $40 to rent the nailer and compressor.

Old 07-24-08, 03:04 PM
D
Glue it with some Bostick's Best.

Old 07-24-08, 04:12 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 870 Upvotes on 761 Posts
I've done my office [small], foyer and a walk in closet in my house using my 16 gauge finish nailer years ago and it has held up fine. Use a scrap piece as a block so you can take a hammer and set them tight before you shoot the nails. I did face nail every so often just to be safe.

Just realized you were planning to hand nail them - I'd be worried about splitting the wood

Old 07-24-08, 07:23 PM
I was going to hand nail them and pre-drill the nail holes, because it is a hallway, the existing rooms already have hardwood, so at all the areas that will butt, I have to face nail and that leaves only about 20 sq ft of wood to toenail, that's why I figured save the cash and not get the nailer and do em by hand

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: