Laminate: which layout direction is better?

Old 07-25-08, 04:01 PM
Laminate: which layout direction is better?

My diagram below shows the shape of family room and living room connecting together. The family room open to kitchen area (tiled).

There are 2 options for me to layout the laminate board. Option A is according to the general guideline about the direction of the sun rays. It would look nice on the eyes too. However laying the board is a bit of problem. If I go from right wall toward left then I am afraid the board won't match up when they meet in the small connecting area between family & living room. If I go from left to right, then I only have half of the wall to start from, the other half is the kitchen border. Does one actually need a wall to start layout the first row ?

Now option B is easier for me to layout, but it's contrary to the guideline about the suns. I am afraid that it will look weird.

What is your opinion and suggestion ?

Nathan

Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-08, 06:40 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Your picture is not showing so bear with me.

Typically, you want to install it the way YOU think it will look best. Saying that, it is typical to install the floor parallel to the longest wall.

If you have a outside wall, it is recommended you start there because the outside walls of homes are almost always square.

Old 07-25-08, 07:50 PM
Thank you for your tip. Here is the image link again so you can understand my situation

http://www.nutithi.net/floor/whichdirection.jpg

The tip about starting from outside wall is great. However I am afraid that when the boards in family and living rooms meet together, they will be out of sync.

Nathan

Old 07-26-08, 04:47 AM
link doesn't work. but the closet/floor pics and anime do.

Old 07-26-08, 07:05 AM
You may have to rip some boards to have them meet properly at a adjoining entryway/hallway. Often times, these boards will be glued in place, rather then the locking mechanism being used.

Old 07-26-08, 06:59 PM
Sorry for keep messing up the image link. Somehome Photoshop save it CMKY format and other people could not view it.

Here it is again in (RGB) .jpg, .gif, .png

http://www.nutithi.net/floor/direction.jpg

http://www.nutithi.net/floor/direction.gif

http://www.nutithi.net/floor/direction.png

Old 07-26-08, 07:25 PM
I would go with option "A".

How wide are your planks?

You will just have to rip some (or all) of the first row to create a straight edge to work from. Then you don't have to worry about anything matching up.

Old 07-27-08, 01:22 AM
I am using 12mm planks with 5 3/8" width.

From what you are saying, I should layout from left to right. Then I need to figure out how to hold the spacers in place since there is no wall at the kitchen border.

Nathan

Old 07-27-08, 06:38 AM
i am going to be doing very much the same thing/layout with engineered. except my dividing wall is not as long, and were your tile is, will be carpet for me (living room). i am going with layout A. as i think it would look the best of the 2. i would love to have it 45deg angled. but i fear that wuld cause me some problem i cannot forsee.

Old 07-27-08, 10:18 PM
LAMINATE: room/closet transition

In one of my bedroom, the carpet runs continously from the room into closet. There is only one small guide for the closet doort (see pic)

So now when I lay the laminate floor, I could

1. run the planks continously from the room into the closet, then making a hole in the plank for the door guide.

2. run the planks continously ..., then put the door guide on top of the plank. Strange (!) but would that work ?

3. get a new set of closet door with guiding rail track, turning the situation back to a normal room/closet configuration and proceed as usual.

4. keep the current closet door; run the planks to the edge the closet door; lay the planks inside closet as usual. That would leave a gap in between for the sliding closet doors to run. Dress up that gap in someway.

Does anyone have a similar situation like mine? What would be your solution ?

Nathan

Old 07-28-08, 12:41 AM
Originally Posted by condo-owner View Post
i am going to be doing very much the same thing/layout with engineered. except my dividing wall is not as long, and were your tile is, will be carpet for me (living room). i am going with layout A. as i think it would look the best of the 2. i would love to have it 45deg angled. but i fear that wuld cause me some problem i cannot forsee.
Do you lay the planks from left to right or from right to left ?

Nathan

Old 07-28-08, 12:31 PM
Option A is what I would go with.

Old 07-28-08, 03:10 PM
Nathan, if the right wall of your diagram is an outside wall, start there.

Old 07-28-08, 06:55 PM
Mark

if i understand you correctly. you say to start on the right side. but then he would have to do 2 rooms, and then get them to come together at the end of the dividing wall. is this correct ?

Old 07-29-08, 10:24 AM
Originally Posted by condo-owner View Post
Mark

if i understand you correctly. you say to start on the right side. but then he would have to do 2 rooms, and then get them to come together at the end of the dividing wall. is this correct ?
The right side is the outside wall. If I did like Mark suggested then I am afraid the 2 floors won't match when they meet. The expert might pull it off but for a first timer like me, I am doubtful about my skill.

Nathan

Old 07-29-08, 10:30 AM
There is no reason you can't start on the long wall on the left. The reason he suggested you start on the right wall, is that the outside wall is typically more likely to be square.

I did mine kind of similar to what you have going on. I started right in the middle (there is a wall, with 2 openings between the 2 rooms) and went out each way. That way I knew the 2 rooms would match up. I admit it may not have been the easiest way, as finishing underneath the baseboard heat register was a challenge at best, but it worked out fine, and it looks great.

Old 07-29-08, 11:51 AM
On the left there is not a long wall. Half of the length is a wall (of a staircase), half of the lenght is the kitchen area. If I start from the left, there is nothing to hold the the first row adjoining the kitchen.

Now if I start in the middle and go out on both directions, it leads to another question: snapping the planks together. The normal way is tongue at an angle inserting into the groove. What about the reverse ? Groove side at an angle, latching on the tongue.

Nathan

Old 07-31-08, 05:18 PM
Huh..no reply yet? No the pro here but to save money and not having to buy a new door and/or hardware for it... I'd go with #1. EXCEPT, don't make a hole for the guide, just make a hole for the screw. Actually, I can't tell what that is. I have sliding closet doors and there's a track on the bottom so I don't know how your closet slides. Looks like it slides from the top if that's the only guide....weird. I'm just not familiar is all. Anyway, definitely don't do #2.

I'm sure others will chime in here

Old 07-31-08, 05:37 PM
Nathan,

I merged your threads into this one. Try to keep all your questions regarding your laminate install, in this thread.

Some of your posts may seem out of order depending on date/time it was posted.