Laminate floors over vinyl?

Old 07-25-08, 06:56 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Laminate floors over vinyl?

Can I install laminate flooring directly over my linoleum floor? (slab underneath) If so, would this mean I wouldn't need any underlayment? I am not sure if it would just be easier to go with linoleum again, in that case, would I be able to install new linoleum over the existing? I really don't want to tear up all that old vinyl...

Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-08, 07:36 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Vinyl acts as a good vapor barrier, so you probably wouldn't need to install a 6mil poly barrier, but does this laminate your looking at have an attached cushion? If not, your laminate will be hard on your feet.

You can install vinyl of vinyl. Just make sure the existing floor is thoroughly cleaned and free of waxes, etc.

Old 07-25-08, 07:49 PM
Originally Posted by HotinOKC View Post
You can install vinyl of vinyl. Just make sure the existing floor is thoroughly cleaned and free of waxes, etc.
Well, I was browsing through other posts in this section and someone had mentioned something about the pads of their dogs' feet scuffing the laminate...so I'm thinking vinyl is my best bet. I have looked at some different types and I'm fascinated with the "glueless" stuff. I was told by a man in menard's that I would just have to cut it and lay it and that was it. This seems crazy to me...wouldn't it curl up at the edges?? Would it slip if you came at it running? How does this work? Thanks for you help, btw.

Old 07-25-08, 08:15 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Laminate is probably the best flooring if you have pets besides tile.

I have laminate, and I got two dogs, one is 130lbs and the other 40, and two children, and the floor has zero scratches or scuffs. Just don't expect the best quality if you spend less the $3 sqft.

The sales person was probably talking about Trafficmasters Allure line. It does not need be glued, and floats on top of the floor. I used to sell alot of this stuff when I worked at Home Depot and it's a good product. The backs of the planks have a rubbery type of grip to them so they don't slide across the floor. The edges are sticky so the adjoining piece adheres to them quite well.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...0053&langId=-1