Jig / scroll / miter saw

Old 07-27-08, 02:11 AM
Jig / scroll / miter saw

I don't know whether to choose jig saw or scroll saw for the laminate floor project. Beside a table saw, most reference just mentioned jig saw as a necessary tool. However for the some of the cut I am going to make, I would think scroll saw cut it easier than jig saw.

And why do we need a sliding compound miter saw ? There is a T-slot miter gauge on the table saw, would that accomplish the same purpose as miter saw ?

Nathan

Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-08, 02:29 AM
A sliding compound miter saw is usually much more accurate than the miter cuts made on inexpensive table saws. A jig saw is more portable and more common than a scroll saw although I suppose you could use a scroll saw.

You didn't mention it but you should also have a jamb saw.

Old 07-27-08, 06:29 AM
You'll need a table saw in order to rip the boards to proper width along the edges. It can be done with a jig saw, but a table saw does a better job. You'll need a jig saw to cut the irregular shapes such as "L" shapes or curves. I'd never considered a scroll saw, but I suppose it might work. You need a sliding miter instead of just a miter or "chop" saw because the surface of the board is so hard it will burn up your blade in a hurry if you try to come straight down on it as these saws do. You need to come at it from the side and saw through instead of from the top. If you can't get access to a slider, just use the jig saw for all the cuts and go slow in order to produce tidy cuts that will cover with trim.

Old 07-27-08, 10:52 PM
Please forgive me for my ignorance. My experience with power tools is 25 years ago in a high school wood working class. Just dropped by at Home Depot and Lowes to browse the power tools isle. Now I understand how versatile a jig saw is.

Nathan