Remove laminate over oak floors!

Old 07-27-08, 06:09 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Remove laminate over oak floors!

How do I remove old 1/4 wood laminate floors that were attached to oak floors with adhesive without damaging the oak floors?

Old 08-01-08, 09:23 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You certainly have a task ahead of you. You did not specify the square footage you are up against, but any amount is certainly a task.

Using a Blow Dryer and a pry bar will work, but is labor intensive. You see the heat from the Hair Dryer will heat up the glue below and will perhaps provide enough heat to remove the flooring without damaging the hardwood below. Sometimes more intense heat is needed, but I do not recommend this method... huge fire hazard if not done CAUTIOUSLY with a heat gun.

Nevertheless, once you get the glued down floor off the Oak Floor, you will be face with removing the glue! This is best done by a professional sanding/refinishing company, but it can be done by a homeowner that is not afraid of renting a floor drum sander and going at it. There is a product (enviromentally friendly too) that will remove glue - You can check it out here:

http://www.savogran.com/Retail_Produ..._products.html

I have used their product with great success, but only on small areas like stair treads. It did work very well and there are NO harsh chemicals!

I tell all homeowners this when they are thinking of removing a cover (wether carpet or laminate) from a hardwood floor that is below... MAJOR NOTE OF CAUTION - IF YOU DO NOT KNOW WHY THE COVER WAS PUT OVER THE HARDWOOD, YOU MAY FIND MANY SURPRISES WHEN YOU FINALLY GET THE COVER COMPLETELY REMOVED! YOU MAY BE FACED WITH DOING REPAIRS THAT WERE COVERED UP!!!

Good luck with your project...

Greg (Retired Floor Installer/Refinisher)
Maine

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: