Wood Flooring Problem

Old 08-04-08, 02:34 PM
Unhappy Wood Flooring Problem

I am installing wood floors in my master bedroom and I accidentally got some of the urethane adhesive on the floor. I mananged to get it off but wherever the adhesive was it has taken the varnish off of my floor. Any suggestions on what to do? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-08, 08:00 AM
Originally Posted by MelRose Place View Post
I am installing wood floors in my master bedroom and I accidentally got some of the urethane adhesive on the floor. I mananged to get it off but wherever the adhesive was it has taken the varnish off of my floor. Any suggestions on what to do? Thanks
Some questions to help me answer your question:

1- what type and what manufacture of hardwood floor are you installing? i.e. (Solid, engineered, plank, snap-lock etc...)

2- How far past the damaged area have you gone?

3- How long has the damaged area and the area PAST the damaged area been glued down?

4- What cement are you using (what manufacture)?

5- What method/materials did you use to remove the excess cement?

Sorry so many questions, but it will help me in giving you the best or even a choice of options.

Greg D. (Retired Hardwood Installer/Refinishing Company Owner)

Old 08-06-08, 04:25 PM
I am installing Harriss-Tatkett long plank hard wood flooring. The type of Adhesive I am using is Roberts Urethane Adhesive for wood floors. The damage is pretty extensive, when you look at the floor in the light you can see the spots. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 08-07-08, 08:31 AM
Originally Posted by MelRose Place View Post
I am installing Harriss-Tatkett long plank hard wood flooring. The type of Adhesive I am using is Roberts Urethane Adhesive for wood floors. The damage is pretty extensive, when you look at the floor in the light you can see the spots. Any help is greatly appreciated.
My suggestion to you is to call Harris-Tarkett at the below phone number. Their Warranty is explicit (should have come with your flooring) as far as what to use and what not to use for removing cement off the surface. Unfortunately you are passed the point of no return...

Again, call Harris Tarkett and ask them for a "touch up kit". You will need to give them the SKU number or Flooring Name off one of the cartons, unless you remember exactly the name of the particular floor (like Golden Oak or Cherry...). Tell them the amount of area that you are touching up and they will tell you how many touch up kits you will need. Usually I tell homeowners to purchase at least two of these kits. When I was still installing floors, I would GIVE my customer (1) one touch up kit - scratches are inevitable!

Here is a quote from Harris Tarkett's Warranty... (Includes their Phone Number too)

Only Tarkett approved cleaning and maintenance productsare appropriate for use on our products. Use of non-Tarkett approved cleaners and maintenance products or any oil soap or Important Information on AdhesivesTarkett has extensively tested our adhesive and determined the proper use of this adhesive will result in a successful installation. Wood flooring manufactured by Tarkett but installed with an adhesive other than a Tarkett approved adhesive may result in afailed installation. For this reason, only installations made with aTarkett approved adhesive are included with this warranty coverage. For a current list of Tarkett approved adhesives please call ourTechnical Services department at (423) 928-3122.ammonia-based cleaners will void all warranties. For a current listof approved products please call 1-423-928-3122

Hope this helps...

FOR ALL DO IT YOURSELF HOMEOWNERS OUT THERE: If you are installing your own floor - Make sure you read through the manufacture's warranty as well as the Manufacture's Installation Instructions. Call them with ANY questions PRIOR to getting started, or even along the process of installation. Their Tech teams are there to help and will save you TIME, MONEY AND AGGREVATION along the way!

Greg (Retired Floor Installation Compay owner)
Maine