laminate next to hardwood

Old 08-11-08, 02:50 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
laminate next to hardwood

I want to install a laminate (5/16") abutted with a hardwood surface (3/4). I am planning to raise the level of the subfloor with1/4" plywood to eliminate moat of the thickness disparity and glue the initial edge of the laminate. what can I use for the least obvious transition and do I need to leave an expansion gap at the transition? Your thoughts please.

Last edited by carverpm; 08-11-08 at 02:52 PM. Reason: incorrect dimension
Old 08-12-08, 07:06 AM
G
Originally Posted by carverpm
I want to install a laminate (5/16") abutted with a hardwood surface (3/4). I am planning to raise the level of the subfloor with1/4" plywood to eliminate moat of the thickness disparity and glue the initial edge of the laminate. what can I use for the least obvious transition and do I need to leave an expansion gap at the transition? Your thoughts please.
First off - **DO NOT GLUE DOWN THE FIRST ROW OF THE LAMINATE FLOORING THIS WILL ONLY CAUSE PROBLEMS, YOU WILL WANT THIS FLOOR TO FLOAT, SO YOU DO NOT WANT THE FLOOR TO ABUTT DIRECTLY TO ANYTHING THAT IS SECURED TO THE SUBFLOOR!

Secondly - Install the blue foam matting ontop of the 1/4 plywood that you installed, this will give you a bit more height to the already installed 3/4" Hardwood. Install a 3/8" temporary strip of some type of wood (like strips of the 1/4" ply (probaly two stacks to make a 1/2" row) right next to the 3/4" Solid Hardwood. *Make sure that these strip are all true and square (Run them all through the table saw to make them a consistant width of 3/8"). Temporarily finish nail them into place tight up against the Solid Hardwood. * Do not hammer the finish nails ALL THE WAY DOWN! you will be REMOVING this temporary row!

**Read the instructions that came with the flooring as well as the manufactures warranty - always abide by these two pieces of information above all else.. if you question anything that the manufacture is telling you, CALL them and write down what they say and most importantly WHO you talked to and WHEN!!**

Remove all baseboard trim, if you are not going to use a shoe molding or quarter round, install temporary spacers around the perimeter as you install the Laminate floor. Once the flooring is installed you will install a Reducer Strip, or "T" molding at the Junction of the Solid Hardwood and the Laminate! You do this by removing the temporary strips you finish nailed into place and then install the Reducer Strip or "T" molding. You install this TIGHT up against the Hardwood and then FINISH nail it to the HARDWOOD! Make sure that when the Strip is installed, you have a gap between the laminate and the bottom leg of the strip molding you are installing. If not, you may need to run this strip(s) through the table saw to sufficiently remove enough to give you a gap. It is important to make sure you do not nail this strip all the way through the 3/4" solid Hardwood Flooring, but rather only into the Solid Hardwood Flooring about 1/2"... So buy the right length nails!! You can put a SMALL amount of construction adhesive under the edge of the strips that comes into contact with the Solid Hardwood Flooring, but *do not put an access amount of adhesive - it will just create a mess that you will be posting questions about how to remove it from the floor!! It only takes a SMALL amount of this adhesive to help keep it in place tight to the hardwood floor and loose to the laminate floor.

Depending on the manufacture of the flooring, most offer these Reducer strips and or "T" molding from their web sites, or you can simply call them to find out who in your area carries them. Most flooring stores will stock these.

Hope this helps...

Greg - Retired Hardwood Floor Installer/Refinisher
Maine

Old 08-12-08, 08:35 AM
C
Laminate to hardwood

Thanks Greg.
You've saved me a lot of head-banging

Search this Thread

Ask a Question