repairing scratches on hardwood floor

Old 08-08-08, 04:26 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
repairing scratches on hardwood floor

Hello,

I have hardwood floors. I've made a nasty scratch in them. I was moving the fridge out and on of the corners scratch my hardwood floor as it came out. How does one go about repairing this? Is there a polish I can use?

Thanks for any forthcoming help.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-08, 04:46 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Is your floor a prefinished wood, or was there a finish applied after it was installed?

Old 08-08-08, 06:42 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Votes on 127 Posts
How deep is the scratch? Is it thru the stain? with or against the grain?

Old 08-08-08, 08:15 PM
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
Is your floor a prefinished wood, or was there a finish applied after it was installed?
There was a finish applied.

Originally Posted by marksr
How deep is the scratch? Is it thru the stain? with or against the grain?
It doesn't seem that deep. It looks like it just scratched the finish. It zig-zags back and forth so it goes with the grain at some points and against it at other points. I don't mind if I have to live with a slight groove in the wood, so long as I can make it less visible. The wood is a deep brown/purple and the scratch is a bright white color. If I could get it more or less camouflaged with the wood, that would be fine.

Old 08-09-08, 05:00 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Votes on 127 Posts
It sounds like you just scratched the finish and didn't get into the stain or wood. Wiping it with a rag damp with mineral spirits might remove the 'white'. Ideally you would lightly sand and recoat with poly. You would need to stop the poly at the end of the pieces of wood so it wouldn't be overly noticable. You might get by with just waxing it.

Old 08-11-08, 08:37 AM
Thanks marksr,

I'll give those suggestions a try.

Old 08-12-08, 08:15 AM
Originally Posted by gib65 View Post
Hello,

I have hardwood floors. I've made a nasty scratch in them. I was moving the fridge out and on of the corners scratch my hardwood floor as it came out. How does one go about repairing this? Is there a polish I can use?

Thanks for any forthcoming help.
In your post(s) you never say if this flooring is Prefinished from the factory, or if it was site finished by a hardwood flooring finishing company...

Also, if it was finished on site, what type of finish was used (waterbased or oilbased)?

The answers to these two questions will GREATLY effect on how you proceed with the repair(s). You say that the scrached areas are "white". This more than like means that the layers (coats) of finish were crushed and you are seeing a lift in the finish.

There are different approaches, but PLEASE get back to me with the answers to the above questions.

Greg -Retired Hardwood Installer/Refinisher
Maine