Removing old wax from a hardwood floor

Old 08-11-08, 11:29 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Removing old wax from a hardwood floor

It was suggested on this forum that an effective method of removing old wax, or Murphy's Oil Soap, from my hardwood floor would be to use Mineral Spirits.
This method isn't working too well. Can somebody tell me the most effective way to use mineral spirits. How much do you use? Do you let it soak in?
If this fails to work will somebody give me an estimate of the cost per square foot to have this floor sanded and re-stained?
Thanks
Whynotme

Old 08-11-08, 12:31 PM
G
Originally Posted by whynotme
It was suggested on this forum that an effective method of removing old wax, or Murphy's Oil Soap, from my hardwood floor would be to use Mineral Spirits.
This method isn't working too well. Can somebody tell me the most effective way to use mineral spirits. How much do you use? Do you let it soak in?
If this fails to work will somebody give me an estimate of the cost per square foot to have this floor sanded and re-stained?
Thanks
Whynotme

Removing Wax... (or Murphy's OS)...

Take it from me as a retired Harwood Floor Refinisher, sanding this stuff off is a nightmare! As soon as you put the sander to the floor it heats up the wax and the wax thus builds up VERY quickly on the edging machine and the drum sander's sanding paper. So to get away from this happening so quickly, sanding companies will drop down to a COURSER grit of paper on both machines, usually they will have used 24 Grit for the drum sander from a previous job and use up their used paper first. Once a majority of the wax is removed they can then jump up to 36/50/100 sequencially. This is time consuming and uses up allot of material. Depending on the area of the country that you live in - you could pay up to $3.50 per sq ft.

Get several estimates!! Check on the flooring companies references...etc.

There are products out there that claim to be acceptable for removing wax from a Hardwood Floor... BUT - most of them require you to give a good rinsing with fresh water... A BIG No-No with hardwood floors. You want to minimize the amount of moisture the wood sees, let alone introducing large quantities!

Greg (Retired Hardwood Floor Installer/Refinisher)
Maine

Old 08-13-08, 08:43 AM
W
Thanks Greg For your help. Can you describe the proper use of mineral spirits?
Whynotme

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: