Need Suggestion on Molding around Bottom step with Carpet runner

Old 08-15-08, 11:52 AM
Need Suggestion on Molding around Bottom step with Carpet runner

Last year we installed hardwood flooring in our house so naturally around the stairs there was a gap between the flooring and the bottom step on our stairs. To cover that gap I installed 3/4" round molding.

Last weekend I installed a carpet runner down the stairway and ran the carpet into the gap between the flooring and the step (meaning I pulled up the molding).

The step is 31 inches wide and the runner is only 26 inches wide. Since the runner is roughly 1/8" or more thick I can't fit molding into place across the width of the step. What can I do to cover the gap and make it look better? I've thought about using a shim and bring each side of the runner out to be the same thickness of the runner. I hope this makes sense.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-08, 07:18 AM
I would NOT have run the stair carpet runner all the way done to the sub floor. You should simply have left the quarter round molding in place and cut the carpet runner to 1/2" above the installed quarter round. Professional Carpet installers would have "bound" the bottom of the Runner (sewn to rid the "rough" cut). You can do this yourself by installing a runner stair rod to the bottom riser, folding the end of the runner under the rod, marking the carpet runner so that there is only 1" to be remaining when folded under. Use heavy duty staples, after folding the cut end under the rod, and staple the folded end directly to the riser. If you have difficulty in stapeling, then use a heavy duty TRANSPARENT glue to glue the cut end (when folded under the rod) back to the underside of the runner. Hold the runner in place, after glueing, with some small nails (don't nail them ALL the way in, you will remove them the following day!).

Good luck with your project.

Greg - Retired hardwood installer/refinisher
Maine