How to clean grime off neglected hardwood?

Old 08-17-08, 04:01 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How to clean grime off neglected hardwood?

On my newly expposed hardwood floors there's anywhere from a 2" to 10" band on along the baseboards of grime. The middle of the floor is great, its just the edges that have this "film". I've tried vinegar and some Minwax Hardwood Floor Cleaner with not much luck. Using either of these products, or just plain water, with a scrubby spondge or steel wool I CAN get the grime to come with some very hard scrubbing. Is there anything out there that will cut through this stuff easier?
I've attached a few pics to show the stuff I'm talking about. FYI-these were taken right after I pulled up the carpet, before I removed all the staples holding down the pad.

Old 08-18-08, 06:59 AM
Try a little turpentine on a rag and lightly rub. Don't use a lot of force. This should get the grime off and not harm the finish on the floor.

Old 08-18-08, 10:43 AM
G
Turpentine may work, but in my opinion I would use Waterlox Tung Oil Sealer mixed with 2 oz of MInWax Cherry Stain to the quart of Tung oil. Using a "000" grit steel wool, gently rub the affected area. Any finish you take off will be replace with the Waterlox Tung Oil.

Greg

Maine

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: