What size grit paper?

Old 08-18-08, 07:40 AM
What size grit paper?

I'm in the process of installing 2 1/4 x 3/4 unfinished white oak. Just would like to know what grit sanding papers to use from start to finish. Is the final step of sanding ok to use a commercial size pad sander.
Thanks.
Joe

Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-08, 10:32 AM
Originally Posted by hrjrkr View Post
I'm in the process of installing 2 1/4 x 3/4 unfinished white oak. Just would like to know what grit sanding papers to use from start to finish. Is the final step of sanding ok to use a commercial size pad sander.
Thanks.
Joe
Joe,

I assume that you are renting a drum sander? More than like a Clarke? These rental machines are tricky to getting use to, but practice in an inconspicuous area first!!

If you are using a rental drum sander, depending on the amount of overage you have between rows (height difference) I would most likely start with 36 grit, then 50 grit then end with 80 grit (unless you are staining the floor). If you are staining the floor, end with 100 grit on the drum sander. You can then either use a rotary buffer or a flat pad orbital sander with 100-120 grit on either one. If you have never used a buffer - I do not recommend that you venture into this! You will be in for a ride of your life!

Good Luck,

Greg
Maine

Old 08-18-08, 10:43 AM
Thanks Greg. I have used a drum and a pad sander before on my sister house but that was trying to get down to the bare would. Just wasn't sure on a new floor. I know what you are saying about the orbital sander. I did use an orbital floor cleaner/scrubber/buffer once and if it's anything like that they do take some time to get used to it.
Thanks again