Laminate Flooring Color Choice

Old 08-18-08, 12:33 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Laminate Flooring Color Choice

Hey guys - I need some decorating opinions!

I'm adding laminate floors to my computer room in my house. The problem is I have "White pickled oak" doors, trim etc... and I have no idea what color flooring would go well with it.

Honestly I hate the White pickled oak look, but I'm not ready to tackle changing all of it out yet.

Do I need to stay with a flooring that has the oak grain? Is it better to choose a different wood grain? Do I have to stay with a light color? Is dark a better choice?

I would love any feedback that anyone has and if anyone has any pictures of successful white pickled oak & flooring color combos you would be my hero!

I am certainly not a decorator so any help would be appreciated! Thank you very much!

-Kris

Old 08-19-08, 08:01 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kristopherjj
Hey guys - I need some decorating opinions!

I'm adding laminate floors to my computer room in my house. The problem is I have "White pickled oak" doors, trim etc... and I have no idea what color flooring would go well with it.

Honestly I hate the White pickled oak look, but I'm not ready to tackle changing all of it out yet.

Do I need to stay with a flooring that has the oak grain? Is it better to choose a different wood grain? Do I have to stay with a light color? Is dark a better choice? ...

-Kris
Kris,

I have done quite a few cottages here in Maine that have the white pickled oak walls and trim. I recommended using a darker color floor to "off-set" the pickled white color. Going with a Red Birch or Cherry floor (in the antique grade or knotty grade) finished off using Waterlox Tung Oil... sorry no pictures, but trust me it looked great.
http://www.waterlox.com

You can go to one of your local Hardwood Flooring Showrooms and they, if reputable, will give you samples of flooring to bring home and place in different areas to see what you think.

I have giving a place to "START", as far as what species of flooring to go with, now the decision is yours... I highly recommend gettting samples of Knotty Grade American Cherry and Rustic Red Birch from a flooring store and seeing what you think, before you make a final descion.

Greg
Retired hardwood floor Installer/Refinisher
Maine

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: