color of hardwood

Old 08-25-08, 03:52 PM
color of hardwood

I am about to install hardwood in the living room and the hall. My walls are a medium to dark tan and furniture is light brown/ dark orange color. I was thinking of either oak or maple, but still not certain on what color. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and have a great day.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-08, 06:44 PM
if you are using prefinished. buy a few box's of 2 different colors. lay them down for 24hrs. see how they look under differnt lighting.

i just bought my 5th try at it, and i think this is what we are going to use. not exactly what i wanted, but sometimes(more than i like) you just have to say "good enough", and move on.

Old 08-27-08, 11:39 AM
Most flooring retailers will let you check out samples to take home to see how they work with interior trim and furnishings. You will want to examine wood tones at different times of the day under both artificial and natural lighting. Colors tend to look different from samples as well as vary under different lighting.
Take into consideration the wood species and color of interior trim and doors if stained and finished. If painted, these will not be an issue. Consider wood species and tones of furniture. Light brown/orange tone wood furniture of contrasts well with a honey-toned finish. Of course, you could go with a darker finish on floor, but darker finishes can make rooms look smaller and many report that dark finishes tend to show scratches and dust bunnies more.
Take into consideration the graining of the wood. Oak tends to have considerable grain and maple very little. Style of home may be a consideration, as well, as many decorators tend to think of oak as more traditional and maple more contemporary. Adjoining floor coverings may also be a consideration, as floor coverings should be complementary.