Hardwood Floor nail hole and crack advise

Old 08-26-08, 07:47 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hardwood Floor nail hole and crack advise

Hi I am new and need some advice.
I got my builder done my hardwood floor. There are a lot of nail holes and some hair cracks in the middle. They are going to replace the cracked one by glue (I don't want more nail holes) and fill up the nail holes (more than 50 nail holes). Will these repairs causing me trouble afterwards.

Thanks

Old 09-01-08, 06:44 PM
Prefinished floors... Nail holes are unacceptable to some. It is normal for site finished, as they will be filled and topcoated, but prefinished you don't have that opportunity. Is it acceptable from the industry standard... Yes, it is unfortunately. That is the difference in the low cost guys that are there to slam it in fast, to the high dollar guys, that make sure there is absolutely nothing to even nit pick.

Old 09-02-08, 09:30 AM
G
I assume that this is a Pre-Finished floor that the Builder installed.

Carpets Done Wright, as always, is correct. The method of "face nailing the first row(s) and the last row(s) is acceptible by flooring standards, but done sloppily can be an eye sore - as you have found out. Cracks occur when the finish nail is placed too close to the butt end or too close to the leading edge, or if there was too much pressure on the air compressor. Filling the nail holes with the FLOORING manufactures offering of wood filler (most manufactures - good ones anyways, will offer nail hole fillers that are SPECIFIC to the species and or color of floor you purchased).

There is nothing that is structurally incorrect in the way the floor was installed (as far as I can tell without doing a site inspection), so you do NOT have to worry about it failing.

Hope this helps,

Greg- Retired Hardwood Floor Installer/Refinisher
Maine

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: