hard wood vs laminate

Old 08-30-08, 07:54 AM
hard wood vs laminate

I live on the top floor in a condo. I want to replace the carpet and put in either hard wood or laminate. I want to have padding underneath the floors because I don't want the people below me the hear me walking. I know the sub flooring will either have to be renailed down or some of it replaced. I assume that hard wood floors are more expensive? Is cork padding good to put under either hard wood or laminate? I want the best possilbe padding I can get. Also, what is the main difference in cleaing wood vs laminate?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-08, 06:14 AM
you have to find out what subfloor you have. i'm going to say its concrete. if so = no solid wood for you. floating or glued enginered.

you should also check with you HOA to see if the bylaws allow you to use a hard floor.

Old 09-01-08, 06:29 PM
I totally agree with the varifying with your condo association!!! You could be sued and made to remove the hard surface flooring, along with a hefty fine. Just because you own the condo, doesn't mean you can do what you want with it. Some find out the hard way.

There is more to it then just the underlayment, when your talking sound transmission levels to lower floors in a building. A lot more to it!!!

Old 09-18-08, 01:08 PM
laminate vs hardwood

as long as 80% of the laminate floor has area rugs we can have wood floors. i have decided to go with Pergo. Most of the pergo i have seen has an underlyament with it. since i am on the top floor is there anything I should put under the pergo just for sound absorbtion? some people say no that the underlayment is all you need but I would rather be safe than sorry

Old 09-18-08, 03:20 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Install a 6 mil poly moisture barrier, and thats it.

I have Pergo installed and we absolutely love it.

Old 09-18-08, 03:42 PM
laminate

Thanks so much. I appreciate your help. Off to look for Pergo flooring.............

Old 09-20-08, 07:07 AM
laminate

I have plywood under my carpet. So Pergo with the underlayment would be the way to go? I also looked at Mannington and it does not have an underlayment with it but I was told if I got the rubber underlayment it would be fine.
I'm not quite sure which way to go....Pergo with underlayment or Mannington and buy the rubber underlayment....

Old 09-21-08, 06:30 AM
The attached cushion, is going to absorb the sound resonance, more then a separte cushion will.