Removing old vinyl adhesive from Hardwood floors

Old 08-30-08, 03:32 PM
Question Removing old vinyl adhesive from Hardwood floors

About 1 yr ago we moved into a 70 + yr old home, previous owner was a drunk flipper. 85% of what I have worked on so far has been done 1/2 way or just plain badly.

Current issue: Removed carpet from upper level and stairs. Under carpet/padding was old vinyl tile squares. I am in the process of gently scraping up the vinyl squares, but am having a difficult time removing the old adhesive. Floor is some kind of planked hardwood. It has wonderful potential. I am planning on sanding the floors and clear coating. I can't sand until I get that adhesive off though. I have tried WD-40, which has always worked in the past. Not doing so great this time. What can I use, doing this on the cheap, that will get rid of the adhesive so I don't wreck my sanders?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-08, 05:55 AM
did you try a razor scraper ? a small one should do the job and not wreck your wood.

Old 08-31-08, 07:55 AM
Originally Posted by condo-owner View Post
did you try a razor scraper ? a small one should do the job and not wreck your wood.
Thanks, but yes I have. Adhesive is old, probably older than the flipper was. I've tried one method of removing(WD-40) and that's not doing it. Will be looking at HD today for some type of adhesive remover then will do the razor scraping again.

Need some good advice/recommendations on the adhesive remover. Something that will at least soften the gunk so I can scrape before I sand and poly. This tile over plank wood looks to have been done in multiple rooms on the top floor. I still cannot fathom why.

Old 09-01-08, 01:56 AM
Take a look at Ecoclean-az.com. They claim to have a safe adhesive stripper.

Old 09-01-08, 04:54 AM
Thank you. I found something, the name escapes me right now, at HD yesterday. Tried it and it works well.

Thank you Jan2 and condo-owner for your help.

Old 09-01-08, 06:19 PM
Cool! Now that you have used a chemical, how are you going to flood the area to rinse the residue that is surely there, and how do you plan on getting the residue that has now absorbed into the wood fiber?

When you go to refinish, your going to freak out when the finish lifts, or alligators/crawls.

NEVER EVER USE A CHEMICAL, unless you like the look of unfinished dirty wood.

Old 09-01-08, 06:50 PM
Originally Posted by Carpets Done Wright View Post
Cool! Now that you have used a chemical, how are you going to flood the area to rinse the residue that is surely there, and how do you plan on getting the residue that has now absorbed into the wood fiber?

When you go to refinish, your going to freak out when the finish lifts, or alligators/crawls.

NEVER EVER USE A CHEMICAL, unless you like the look of unfinished dirty wood.
I have refinished floors before, using a chemical solvent initially. Never had this situation with tile adhesive though. I used a light and fast coat to remove the stickiness of the adhesive then I am following up with sanding. I did do multiple clean water rinses first with drying time in between. So far, I have done one sanding with #60. Will follow with and #80 then #100. Will then follow with poly.

In my previous experience, granted probably not nearly as experienced as you are, I haven't had an issue with the floor looking 'dirty'. But I also don't look at this as a 1 day or ever a 1 week job. I will take my time in completing this and making sure it is done well.

Thank you for your help.

Old 09-02-08, 12:28 AM
If you find a product and technique that work post your experience. Your question about removing vinyl adhesive comes up often. Lots of people put that stuff down to avoid the maintenance that wood requires.